Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sportsman 850 Premium Trail
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Montana -

Mary here, first time ATV owner. My husband and I picked up a 2021 Sportsman 850 Premium Steel Blue with Factory Trail package back in November. Includes Polaris HD 3500 lb winch, front and rear bumpers. We added snow plow package, handgrip and throttle warmers, street legal details - horn, mirror - at the dealer. Went in for a 570 in Zenith Blue I saw listed on their website but learned it had already sold - along with 3 other pre-sold 570s - and was told 2-3 months if I wanted to order. Needless to say, signed the paperwork on that 850 the following day. After a couple weeks, parts and ramp came in and we picked up our ATV right around Thanksgiving.

Pleased to be here, I have referenced the forum a number of times already - and look forward to learning more as we go.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

Reactions: mmrat

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
814 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mary, good looking machine

·
Registered
533 Posts
Man, nice first 4 wheeler, mine was an old clapped out Yamaha 660 Grizzly. Barley ran, got me hooked though. Welcome aboard, lots of great info in here, look around, ask questions.
And nice Big Sky Country picture, excellent.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Hello from Montana -

Mary here, first time ATV owner. My husband and I picked up a 2021 Sportsman 850 Premium Steel Blue with Factory Trail package back in November. Includes Polaris HD 3500 lb winch, front and rear bumpers. We added snow plow package, handgrip and throttle warmers, street legal details - horn, mirror - at the dealer. Went in for a 570 in Zenith Blue I saw listed on their website but learned it had already sold - along with 3 other pre-sold 570s - and was told 2-3 months if I wanted to order. Needless to say, signed the paperwork on that 850 the following day. After a couple weeks, parts and ramp came in and we picked up our ATV right around Thanksgiving.

Pleased to be here, I have referenced the forum a number of times already - and look forward to learning more as we go.

View attachment 150020

View attachment 150021

View attachment 150022
Welcome. I have the same bike and love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone :cool:

Man, nice first 4 wheeler, mine was an old clapped out Yamaha 660 Grizzly. Barley ran, got me hooked though. Welcome aboard, lots of great info in here, look around, ask questions.
And nice Big Sky Country picture, excellent.
Definitely hooked and already looking for a 2nd machine.. Funnily enough, the forum pointed out an issue to me on my machine I hadn't even noticed yet - Struggled with intermittent low speed shut offs for the first 50 hours or so (Worried it was something big, but seems to have been nothing more than a keyfob was to blame) and searching around here for throttle cable related issues lead me to discover that like OP Mike_B - my throttle cable was all chewed up and damaged from how it was routed in the steering column and rubbing against numerous plastic panels. I have heard from two other owners at my dealer that have dealt with this on their '20 or '21 850s. Dealer claims a protective sheath with zip tie would pull or stretch throttle cable and damage it in the future? MrEd - How has your repair held up? I have rubbing in multiple locations. Mechanic mused out loud about cutting into the plastic panels... (no). Throttle Cable was warrantied out for replacement and I'm due back 4/13 for the deed.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,374 Posts

Definitely hooked and already looking for a 2nd machine.. Funnily enough, the forum pointed out an issue to me on my machine I hadn't even noticed yet - Struggled with intermittent low speed shut offs for the first 50 hours or so (Worried it was something big, but seems to have been nothing more than a keyfob was to blame) and searching around here for throttle cable related issues lead me to discover that like OP Mike_B - my throttle cable was all chewed up and damaged from how it was routed in the steering column and rubbing against numerous plastic panels. I have heard from two other owners at my dealer that have dealt with this on their '20 or '21 850s. Dealer claims a protective sheath with zip tie would pull or stretch throttle cable and damage it in the future? MrEd - How has your repair held up? I have rubbing in multiple locations. Mechanic mused out loud about cutting into the plastic panels... (no). Throttle Cable was warrantied out for replacement and I'm due back 4/13 for the deed.
Yup that’s a pretty common issue. If you try to zip tie it, then you will put too much tension on the cable and it mess up your idle. I put some tape around like in your pics and called it a day. I check it during my regular maintenance intervals and add tape as required.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup that’s a pretty common issue. If you try to zip tie it, then you will put too much tension on the cable and it mess up your idle. I put some tape around like in your pics and called it a day. I check it during my regular maintenance intervals and add tape as required.
Thanks G, appreciate the insight

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,333 Posts

My repair has held up well and was very easy.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Slit a piece of fuel line or vacuum hose, place over the infected area, zip tie in place. -that is if you caught it before the chafing caused cable damage.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,374 Posts
Slit a piece of fuel line or vacuum hose, place over the infected area, zip tie in place. -that is if you caught it before the chafing caused cable damage.
I may go this route as well as opposed to the electrical tape hack job 🤪

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the update, MrEd - Glad for the advice! The original cable was damaged enough and under warranty so will be replaced at no charge. Will be nice to start fresh with some tried and tested anti-chafing solutions in place (y)

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
814 Posts
@MrEd has the best fix. I zip tied mine to the rest of the hoses on the steering stem and it immediately through a code and went into limp mode.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
@MrEd has the best fix. I zip tied mine to the rest of the hoses on the steering stem and it immediately through a code and went into limp mode.
Yeh you can’t attach the throttle cable to the others, that won’t allow it to move as needed during turning.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I learn something every day. I’ll do this on mine immediately. While I’m at Autozone getting some fuel line, I’m also going to get some exhaust heat shield wrap (or whatever you call it) for the upper radiator hose. It runs close to my LED wiring harness installed for the halos in one spot. The instructions on the harness suggest keeping it away from heat sources

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,304 Posts
On this sight you will get more advice than you could ever hope for.

Reactions: slisk250 and MrEd
1 - 20 of 47 Posts