Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! My wife and I just bought a 10-acre property with a 1/4-mile driveway. We bought a 2013 Sportsman 850 XP HO to plow & grade the driveway, and had a Polaris winch and Glacier Pro plow installed by the dealer. The very first day of plowing, I managed to break the winch cable right above the ferrule and wrap the frayed end under itself on the drum. Any tips, tricks, or advice for tearing the winch apart and freeing the cable would be appreciated! I will be moving to synthetic line soon, but I've got to get this problem fixed first. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I would bet that if you get the winch spool into a position where you can get to the backside of where it is jammed up, you should be able to work it loose. Probably not going to be easy, but it can be done. You will have to work some slack into it and then you will be able to get it loose. Use pliers or something to protect your hands

Otherwise you could cut the cable behind the jam and sacrifice that amount of cable. A pair of heavy duty wire cutters would do it. Just a few strands at a time.

·
Administrator
898 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts