Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm looking to buy my first ATV and at this point I've been leaning towards a Polaris, then an Arctic Cat, then a Can Am, then back to Polaris, back to Can Am... etc!
As of today I'm seriously leaning towards the Sportsman 500 either with or without the carb. I'm not comfortable spending 9 to 10k for an ATV and that's why Can Am is out of the picture. Some posts I've read suggested Polaris has been having issues with their new machines.
I'm looking for dependability over performance since I don't plan on being too aggressive with it. Should I be confident that for $5500 to $6500 Polaris is the best bang for the buck? Also, is EFI a must or can I be confident in the carburetor model?
Thanks for your replies.
Steve - Boston, MA

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board! I would go no carb. but thats just me, I don't like to jet or adjust things.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just bought a 09 Sportsman 500 H.O. with carb and i love it. It starts and runs flawless. I havent even had to use the choke. It starts the first quarter of a crank. I chose the carb model because im machanicaily inclined so if i break down on a trail i can at least jimmy it to get back to the truck as for the efi good luck. Also i've had it on hills where i'd tip over backwords if i wernt on the front rack and it does'nt cut out or flood its self. This machine has been around for a long time and they just keep improving it every year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 500 Sportsman is a proven machine. Carbs and EFI are both good. If you ride at different elevations then I would go EFI...... but if you ride at a constant elevation then carb is just fine.
I ride from sealevel to 8000 ft so EFI is needed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Keep in mind you always here about the problems everybody is having and not how good there machine is. I would buy the carbed 500 sportsman. It is reasonably priced and is hands down the most rock solid machine ever built. I have personally seen these machines with 10,000 to 20,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Steve
The Sportsman 500 is a tried and true machine efi or carb model that is a buyer preference.
If your storage is unheated then in the winter efi is the best. I have a 2004 H.O. and a 2008 H.O. i use K&N Filters not so much for performance but that i can wash them. No rejetting needed to do so. I plow the driveway with my 2004 in the winter and we play in the snow. These are both work horses i have a trail mower that we use to cut grass and ive never been let down by a carb model i just didnt see the extra $1000.00 dollars for less warm up time. Can am makes a great machine i have friends with them and reliable they are comfortable they are and this comes with a price tag that outways the sportsman. Funny this two weeks ago the sportsman was pulling the can am out of a mud hole hmmmmm go figure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decision Time...

Thanks everyone for the replies. Do you all ride with someone on the back and if not, is it because it's not meant for it? I'd like to take a passenger every now and then but haven't considered an X2. Is it necessary or is the single seater fine with two?
later!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I take almost every thing i said back. Buy a EFI model if you plan on varying your elivation at all! I went hunting last weekend at about 6500 Feet. My house 2000 feet camp was about 3500 feet. Needless to say it was the hunting trip from hell. I barley got out of the Mts. my quad was choking so bad. Not to mention i was by my self other then my dog Ford. Spend the extra money if you do or you will regret it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The X2 makes a big difference in handling and comfort.If you plan to have a passenger once in a while then it would be worth considering IMO.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chrisford4x4 It sounds like you could go with smaller jets in your carb. If you are starting at 2000 ft elevation and went to 6500 ft your machine will run richer but should not be so choked.
You mention that you don't need to use your choke in the morning...... this is a sign that your machine is setup to rich, even for your house elevation of 2000 ft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts