Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got a chance to take my (new to me, only has 400 miles) 700 X2 out this past Saturday. It was my first ride on a Polaris as this is my first one. I traded my Rhino 660 for it. Also, it was my first time on the Hatfield McCoy trails even though they are all around me.

I went alone as no one I used to ride with rides anymore, but it was nice. I was impressed by the trail system as well as my X2. It a different beast than my Can-am Outlander was, but I enjoyed it. Plenty of punch from the 700 as well.

All in all, I must say, I'm happy with my trade and enjoy being back on an atv vs the Rhino. I don't think I'm much of a side-by-side rider in all honesty, although a RZR may change that, never been on one.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You are very close to Little Coal River and Ivy Branch. In fact, those are about 20 mins from Corridor G. Are those the trails you rode?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, rode Little Coal River. I've always ridden "local hotspots" with my friends, so this was my first time on the HMT. I enjoyed it, no local riff-raff either. I plan on trying out Ivy Branch and some others around Logan and Gilbert. I'm actually from Logan County originally anyway.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd like to ride the H&M trail system some day. I read that they do not allow beer on the trails. I'm not looking to get drunk out riding, but stopping along the trails for a cold one on a hot day is refreshing. Do they enforce the drinking ban or is it ok to have a cooler with a few drinks in it on the trails.
Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to ride the H&M trail system some day. I read that they do not allow beer on the trails. I'm not looking to get drunk out riding, but stopping along the trails for a cold one on a hot day is refreshing. Do they enforce the drinking ban or is it ok to have a cooler with a few drinks in it on the trails.
Thanks
I'm not sure how strict they are, as I don't drink myself, but I know a lot of guys don't like that about them as well. I didn't see any rangers on the trails when I was there, but they do supposedly patrol them.

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm here now...we got in this evening. Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow. There are plenty of cold ones here at my cabin. This is a family trip with the kids and all, so the cold ones will be waiting for me right here on the porch when we get back every night...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm here now...we got in this evening. Can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow. There are plenty of cold ones here at my cabin. This is a family trip with the kids and all, so the cold ones will be waiting for me right here on the porch when we get back every night...
Glad to see you keeping them on the porch. When we were there in April, we left ours at the cabin, and enjoyed them during the evening. The trails can be dangerous, so anything you can do to make it safer should be welcome. I like a cold one as much as the next guy, but those trails aren't the place for them

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Beverages on the trails r fine as long as u r not advertising it. 1100 miles riding there and I have seen exactly one trail ranger and we have never been stopped. Now if u r acting like a fool and endangering people because ur drunk, that ain't good at all and u likely deserve whatever may happen to you. We also see locals there without helmets on the trails (stupid but it's their life)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Beverages on the trails r fine as long as u r not advertising it. 1100 miles riding there and I have seen exactly one trail ranger and we have never been stopped. Now if u r acting like a fool and endangering people because ur drunk, that ain't good at all and u likely deserve whatever may happen to you. We also see locals there without helmets on the trails (stupid but it's their life)
If the rules state no beer, then it's no beer, and you cant say with any sense of certainty when you go from a sober rider to a drunken fool. Don't believe me, let a trooper stop you after you've just drunk three beers, and I guarantee you a ride in a police car, and that's the same thing that happens to you on a trail after three beverage stops. That guy riding without a helmet isn't going to hurt anyone but himself, but a drunk can wipe out a whole group if losing it on a difficult climb or drop. But you do what floats your boat, but remember just because you can get away with it, doesn't make it right, and telling people on here that its OK, is irresponsible:chairfall:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, the no alcohol is one of the main reasons I enjoy the HMT. I don't drink, and I hate being out and running into a group around here that has been drinking all day, especially when you are alone or with just a couple of people. It's always unknown what they are going to do or say.

I agree that alcohol and trails don't mix. It's no different than driving on the road if you have been drinking.

steve936 - I hope you enjoy your stay and the trails. What area are you riding?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm just telling u my experiences there. We go 4-5 times per year and those r our experiences. I really don't care if u have three drinks and r over the limit...that has no bearing on me or how I ride and where I ride. The rules also state no kids under age 16 on atv over 90cc. How r those enforced? A 6ft tall 15 year old better be in a 90cc quad! Yeah right

·
Registered
80 Posts
To be honest, the no alcohol is one of the main reasons I enjoy the HMT. I don't drink, and I hate being out and running into a group around here that has been drinking all day, especially when you are alone or with just a couple of people. It's always unknown what they are going to do or say.

I agree that alcohol and trails don't mix. It's no different than driving on the road if you have been drinking.

steve936 - I hope you enjoy your stay and the trails. What area are you riding?
I like the fact that the trails are patrolled. It keeps most pretty honest hopefully. I tell you, the trails are awesome. But I am a little perplexed with some of the trash I see at the overlooks and what not. I almost want to bring trash bags with me tomorrow.

I submerged my atv pretty good today. Just dropped it off at S&S in Northfork to clean out the belt/clutches and install some new tires...Sean from S&S is a pretty straight shooter and stand up guy. I'm glad he's around.

Mountaineer Thank you sir, We're staying at Ashland and riding Indian Ridge, Pinnacle & Pocohontas....

·
Registered
721 Posts
I submerged my atv pretty good today. Just dropped it off at S&S in Northfork to clean out the belt/clutches and install some new tires...Sean from S&S is a pretty straight shooter and stand up guy. I'm glad he's around.
My bro-in-law nuked his Outlander 800 belt while riding into town for lunch. We stopped at S&S and they had the exact replacement belt for his quad. In and out pretty quickly too.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm just telling u my experiences there. We go 4-5 times per year and those r our experiences. I really don't care if u have three drinks and r over the limit...that has no bearing on me or how I ride and where I ride. The rules also state no kids under age 16 on atv over 90cc. How r those enforced? A 6ft tall 15 year old better be in a 90cc quad! Yeah right
Maybe you should just worry about the rules pertaining to you, and quit using everyone else as your excuse to drink where it's prohibited. But then again, you're probably the kind we'll read about in the newspaper after you wrap yourself around a telephone pole somewhere, or a tree in the woods, and probably be drunk when they find you. I don't want to see that, about you or anyone else with you, so why don't you just do it like you're supposed to and stay sober on the trails. We will all appreciate it. I'm not a goody two shoes, but lets face it, some things just make sense, and as someone else stated alcohol doesn't mix with driving or 4 wheeling. Be safe

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did I mention we love this place?

S&S- Top notch
Ashland- awesome
Indian Ridge & Pocohontas- Out of this world...

Tomorrow- Pinnacle or some of the blues we missed on the 2 systems we hit already. Maybe some blacks..who knows!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Did I mention we love this place?

S&S- Top notch
Ashland- awesome
Indian Ridge & Pocohontas- Out of this world...

Tomorrow- Pinnacle or some of the blues we missed on the 2 systems we hit already. Maybe some blacks..who knows!!!
Did you find the hill climbs at Pocohontas? How about the one trail that's like riding through the amazon LOL! Make sure you blast through the pond up on top near the connector trail.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Man I've been dreaming about making the trip to Hatfield McCoy since last year when I bought my Sportsman 500. Planning on taking a trip around may or june but will probably be going solo since none of my friends can't ride without a beer in their hand.

Would any of you guys that live in the area be willing to meet up and ride the trails with me? It'd be fun to ride with some of you.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Man I've been dreaming about making the trip to Hatfield McCoy since last year when I bought my Sportsman 500. Planning on taking a trip around may or june but will probably be going solo since none of my friends can't ride without a beer in their hand.

Would any of you guys that live in the area be willing to meet up and ride the trails with me? It'd be fun to ride with some of you.
I'm sure that if you go by yourself, there will be someone there that will be happy to let you ride with them. The people and riders who I ran into there are all first class and very friendly. Tell your friends that surely they can ride a few hours sober, and if they cant, I wouldn't ride with them at home either

1 - 19 of 19 Posts