Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-

I've got a 2002 Sportman 500HO, and will be upgrading soon. Most likely the 570 Sportsman, altough Grizzly is a slight possiblity, but based on one trip the dealers earlier this week, doubtfull. Kinda of want something different, but seems like the Sportsman is the way to go.
I looked at the Outlander, but it seems better suited to more open areas, and I ride in the woods all the time. Man they do look good though.

Looking for input on:

1) Is there a downside, other than cost and "another thing to break" of EPS? Seems like EVERYONE who has one here loves it. Every heard of anyone having it and NOT liking it? I hate to spend the money, but seems like I will reget it if I don't.

2) EBS- my Sportsman has it, and can't imagine going without it- so that means I will be looking for the camo flavor, as the camo comes with it and the red and green do not. Anyone go from having EBS to not having it?

Thanks in advance/Kevin

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just picked up a new 570 right before Christmas and love it. Mine is green and non-eps/ebs. I see no major differences between that and my older 500ho and 700efi. Steers the same to me and maybe I just didn't pay attention to the engine braking as I ride mainly in the rice fields and hunting areas.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've never felt I needed power steering. I have been in the saddle for a whole day....over 120 miles. My butt was the only thing that was sore. My arms never get tired.
My right thumb used to get tired. But now with the left hand throttle added I can switch back and forth.
I'd go for the best ride and not worry about the EPS. As for the EBS....I like having it. I'm in the mountains, so it's more useful to me than to a lot of flatlanders.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The griz is a good machine but i don't think they handle and ride any where near as good as the polaris.

I was told griz has a different angle set up on the front end to make em handle more for work than play.

Do your self a favor and do not look at the price tags. Ride them and decide.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
But now with the left hand throttle added I can switch back and forth.
Didn't think to look for this on an ATV. I am familiar with these on sleds. Is this an adapted sled install or off the shelf version for a quad?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not the 570 correct? The 570 only has EBS in the camo color.
Nope. I have a Green 570 with Power Steering and Engine Braking.
Wow, nice. How did you get that? According to Polaris, it's not available. I would like to get the same thing.
Have no clue. I just told them I wanted a green EPS 570. Didn't ask for the EBS. They tried to get me to take a camo one but I told them I wouldn't pay extra for it. The EBS is hard to get used to. I didn't know it wasn't available in anything but camo. Maybe they messed up at the factory?? I do know this I'll never own another one without power steering.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
But now with the left hand throttle added I can switch back and forth.
Didn't think to look for this on an ATV. I am familiar with these on sleds. Is this an adapted sled install or off the shelf version for a quad?
It's made for ATVs. Same company that makes them for sleds. It comes in handy in certain places where I have to sidehill.

https://www.denniskirk.com/full-throttle-inc/goldfinger-left-hand-atv-hand-throttle-kit.p1901351.prd/1901351.sku

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Doesn't say EBS but it defiantly slows down quite a bit when I let off the throttle. Almost feels like back brakes are being applied. I haven't gotten used to it yet. If that's not EBS I wouldn't want one with it. It's real bad at slower speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't say EBS but it defiantly slows down quite a bit when I let off the throttle. Almost feels like back brakes are being applied. I haven't gotten used to it yet. If that's not EBS I wouldn't want one with it. It's real bad at slower speeds.
Wow I wonder if they swapped plastic and you have the camo, just with green skins.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That's not EBS. If it was it will say it on the belt cover and as a few others have pointed out, it only comes in the camo color

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I've learned that when going down a hill at slow speeds, use high range and it will be a lot easier to control. You have to learn to feather the throttle to keep the back end from going sideways, and low range just amplifies the sliding, so I use high when going down steep hills, and it's much better, and my 13 500 is camo and does have EBS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts