Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why can't I find a holder for my fishing pole?
so I see you guys got gun holders, chain saw holders that mount on ATVs. well why not a fishing pole holder!! like one that can mount on front or back rack or above your fuel packs(that would be nice) can offer protection from the dirt on the trail and dont forget the foam inside for the bumps.

I know of 4 people that would buy one right now if they could get one.

I have a pole that is the right length it fits in my lock and ride but it takes a beating there and is always in the way. I'd build one but I think a molded design would be better.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have made them for my vehicles for years. I am going to do the same for the 700 for this years trips. I use PVC, cut to lock in the reel seat and filled pith round pipe insulation. Works well on the roof of the Jeep and 70 MPH...

Sorry no pics...

I'll take some when I build one for the ATV.

CW

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
why can't I find a holder for my fishing pole?
so I see you guys got gun holders, chain saw holders that mount on ATVs. well why not a fishing pole holder!! like one that can mount on front or back rack or above your fuel packs(that would be nice) can offer protection from the dirt on the trail and dont forget the foam inside for the bumps.

I know of 4 people that would buy one right now if they could get one.

I have a pole that is the right length it fits in my lock and ride but it takes a beating there and is always in the way. I'd build one but I think a molded design would be better.
I would like to see or design/build one as well. What do you guys "envision" as a good design? I don't think crossways or vertical would be good, at least not for the kind of trout stream fishing I do, using the wheeler. I travel old logging roads with brushy sides and overhanging tree limbs. The poles I use are UL and 5 - 6 ft. in length; occasionally a fly rod rig (long). Right now I use a packable pole (4 pc.) that breaks down into a padded tube. But is a PIA when traveling between fishing spots on the streams. I would like to use a one-piece rod and have something that holds it for me and keeps it out of harm's way, while traveling between "spots", but is easily accessible.

Ideas?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'm invisioning something pointing reward on an angle. I also will bs carrying about five foot small rods. Never was a fan of the two piece. But may need to go that route to keep frombreaking them.

CW

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a 2 piece rod and just pull it apart(into about 40" when broken down) between fishing holes. Ive thought about the PVC but havent been able to figure a way to do it in a way that doesnt make me look like a "red neck".

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just ordered a set of custom made brackets for my boat from Trojantackle. The guy can make some great looking brackets and rod tubes, typically for boats but he would probably make whatever you want. His stuff doesn't look redneck...but it is as expensive as it looks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
What about some of these "travel" rods I see? As I said, I prefer one piece rods, but may be easier....

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I was searching a couple this AM too. I say the St Croix. There are a number of other good possibilities as well.
I feel it's better than breaking a favorite and then not getting to use it once you get to the spot.... Just a thought.

CW

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I searched "St Croix" and found a hard case but it looked to be for a fly rod. I was hoping for koplin to chime in and say "we are working on a one right now"
Trojantackle may be a better option if koplin doesnt want to step up and knock one out fo the park. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
here's a thought: maybe you could get a cheap plastic gun case from cabelas for $15, make some form of mount, mount it to the side of your rear rack and throw 2 piece rods in there, not only will you have a sturdy mount but it will keep your rods out of harms way

·
Registered
94 Posts
They do have some spinning travel rods in their premier line, not cheap though at $170! You could get a very nice custom bracket for the price

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just made a Rod holder for my Yamaha Big Bear. Should work on most atv's.
Here is a Picture.
[URL=http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/lefty2053/media/100_2344_zps54cbb52e.jpg.html][/URL]

The Board is a piece of Decking. Then I bolted PVC onto it and then I used U-bolts to attach the whole thing to the back bar's on the rear rack. I also used small Bungees to hold the reels down tight and rubber bands to hold the two pieces of rod together just in case the line broke and they separated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice set up, but I'd be worried I'd run into a tree branch and break the rods.

I've done what someone earlier suggested: use a rifle mount. I bought the Polaris lock and ride mount, carries the gun case at an angle. Stuff the rods in and go.

Note: I also love one piece rods, but no way would they survive a day in the bush with me on an ATV. Stick with 2 piece rods, remove the reels, and away you go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice set up, but I'd be worried I'd run into a tree branch and break the rods.

I've done what someone earlier suggested: use a rifle mount. I bought the Polaris lock and ride mount, carries the gun case at an angle. Stuff the rods in and go.

Note: I also love one piece rods, but no way would they survive a day in the bush with me on an ATV. Stick with 2 piece rods, remove the reels, and away you go.
I don't have to duck down too often and when I do the rods are still about the same height as I will be. I can always lift the small branches out of the way as i go through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts