Polaris ATV Forum banner

FIXED!!! 700 Sportsman EFI Spitting, Sputtering, Dying When Ridden Hard

395K views 272 replies 62 participants last post by  lucas 
Hi guys,
Having this exact issue so I pulled the tank, wrapped the bottom with the tin tape and ordered up a new carter pump, pn p72118 from rock auto as well as a fuel regulator for the 96 zj. The pump showed up today and it does not look like it has the right base on it.
The fuel outlet and electrical match the oem pump, but the base doesn't.

The two pumps have 2 completely different bases, and i don't see a way to mod the new one to fit into the plastic capsule and have the sock go back on.

Now the actual pump has a number on it but not the p72118. Did they change the unit or whats up? Are there different variations of this pump? I ordered it as a direct pn not as a vehicle specific item.

Anyone have any info on this Carter pump situation?

How did that fuel regulator fit for your's? Just got it today too and its garbage. No way it would work.

That is not what I have for a pump assembly. My pump is incased in a white plastic shrouding and has the regulator housing part of the assembly. It is not nice and open on my 2008 Sportsman 500 HO.

No worries, just letting guys know that some rigs do have different assembly's.

I should've updated my fix.

In the end I dont think my issue was the pump at all. Still had issues after changing it out and shielding it up. Came home and tore it down again and ohm'd out all the sensors to find all perfectly in spec. Then had it idling and figured it might be an intake leak. Sprayed it in bursts while idling and it caught fire. Upon further inspection it was lit up by a break in the spark plug boot. Arcing to the block and causing a poor rough idle. Then when wet it was dead shorting to the block, no run. Patched the boot temp. w rotunda and super 88 tape and it was fixed. No issues in over 100km and that was mud n water.

Yeah, you need to pull the pump and regulator assembly out of the tank and verify which pump you have and what it can be replaced with. I just ordered one that everyone said would work but for some reason it wasn't able to fit for me. Took mine down to the local part shop and matched it up 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.