Polaris ATV Forum banner
261 - 273 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, you need to pull the pump and regulator assembly out of the tank and verify which pump you have and what it can be replaced with. I just ordered one that everyone said would work but for some reason it wasn't able to fit for me. Took mine down to the local part shop and matched it up 100%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fuel pump

Does anyone know if the 04's all have the same fuel pump, and does anyone know what kind or model I would need to replace it at napa? The shop isn't being much help (because they want $ for the tank) but I'm going to see if I get a new pump they can put it in if not I will.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all - picked up a 2006 efi x2, and had the run then suddenly stop issue that's all through this thread.

Anyway, ordered the carter p72118, bikes in pieces in the garage, and now that I've pulled the assembly, this pump doesn't look right. Pics on amazon where I ordered look like this:

More Information for CARTER P72118

But what I actually got looks like this:

http://fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?pNum=P72118&partType=In%20Tank%20Pump%20&%20Strainer%20Set&brandId=CF

Anyone else seen this? Did something change? Anyone made it work? The first pic matches what's coming out of the tank. The second one is shorter, and the electrics are reversed (appear to be right - the wide one has a plus & the red wire is the wide spade)

·
Registered
32 Posts
fuel pump

i have a 06 polaris sportsman 500 efi. once in a while it will bog under hard acceleration after 15-20 minutes of riding. it will idle fine when i come to a stop, but if i push the throttle all the way it will bog like somthing is clogged or not getting air. i have no codes and i also replaced the t-bap sensor harness cause of a previous problem. if i turn the engine off and back on it wont bog again for like another 15-20 minutes. maybe its a sensor i thought, or the fuel pump getting hot. i have the exhaust wrapped and put heat shielding under the fuel tank but still does the same thing. once in a while it wont even do it at all that day. runs fine, other days it does this. its not getting hot, fan comes on when it should and coolant is fine. im lost and need some advice. dont want to take it to the dealer and get robbed of my money just for them to look at it. im pretty mechanicly inclined to do repairs myself. everything looks good, but somedays the fuel pump sounds a little different. i have never tested the fuel pressure yet. any ideas would be great. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gothica,

I have purchased the same pump and realized after reading your post, that the posts were different too, one larger than the other. I did not notice which one was positive or negative, so placed wiring according to post size and continued through to reassembly. When complete, I started and atv running fine and idleling fine, although after about a 1/4 mile it starts running rather loud and rough. Not sure if I have wires crossed and if so, would it allow atv to start anyways. What was your outcome, did you resolve?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help or if it is the same issue but after completing the pump install on my 04 700 efi It started and ran but seemed to sound different. I'm not sure how to describe it but it just didn't sound like it had. It was louder and something was a little off but it ran. I drove it around the neighborhood and it seemed to be all right except for the different sound. I didn't push it real hard. I wanted to take it nice and easy. My son and I loaded up and headed out to a local trail. 18 miles into a state cabin and 18 out. About 3/4 of the way in I noticed it seemed to be back to normal and has been ever since. The most important thing was it was not shutting off or running crappy as the gas went down in the tank and the fuel remaining heated up. (I carried extra gas to dump in just in case) I took it easy for the first little bit of the trail and gradually pushed it more and more. My conclusion on the different sound was that maybe the computer or fuel injection had to relearn something or sync with the new pump. Not sure but now everything is good and it runs great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pump Sock

I was having an issue where my 2005 Sportsman 800 EFI would sputter and die on the trail. After letting it sit for a few minutes it would start and run fine. The dealer recommended replacing the entire fuel tank so I did an internet search and I found this thread. I disassembled the tank today and found that my pump sock was completely disintegrated so I got a new one from Napa. The tank went back together easily once I cleaned out all of the chunks of the old filter sock. Once my replacement fuel filter arrives tomorrow and I can put everything back together and give it a test ride. Here is the picture of the old and new sock.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there I have an 05 800 efi with this exact problem and after dealing with it for a couple seasons I went and bought a new quad. I'm now trying to sell this one but I don't wanna sell someone a lemon so I'm trying to fix it. Does anyone know if one of these aftermarket pumps will fit an 05 800 sportsman? If so which part #/ model?

Thx
Nate

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I pulled my sender/pump out I found that the sock filter was broken up into small pieces and they were all in the bottom of the tank. I cleaned the tank, replaced the filter and used the same pump and it has been working perfectly. You might not need to replace the pump.

Louis

·
Registered
1 Posts
i need help, i have a 2012 Polaris sportsman 800 efi 4x4 and i rode it all day fri, sat, sun and parked it in my barn. went to start it Monday evening to get something else out of the barn. started a little rough, put in reverse and got about 10 feet then it died. now when i try to start it if i crank it for 20 seconds it will start and idle around 600- 800 rpm and if you give it gas it backfires a ton and black smoke comes out the exhaust, like its running super rich, i already cleaned the mass air sensor last night but the issue got no better. everything is bone stock other than replacement plastics to fix a crack and new Kendra tires and rims. someone please help bc this machine has 19 hrs and under 100 miles. its basically new and i dont have any real money to bring it to an overpriced dealer. i am a professional dirt bike builder so i know how to use all the tools i just really want to rip my head off trying to figure out this electrical fuel injection. what happened to the good old carb and jets?

261 - 273 of 273 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.