Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Turkeyday I got the XP550 out for a short ride.
Had a weird flat spotted tire feeling that never seemed to go away. Any idea what that may be? The feeling sped up with the speed of the machine. Stock tires.

Flat spotted tire or belt?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that may be the case, was about 35 degrees. Would have expected it to go away. Did only ride about five miles with the nephew.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Highly unlikely for it to be the belt due to belts ability to stay at a constant RPM and just change dimensions in the clutches to change your speed.

Sounds like flat spotted tire, so how long has it sat and does it have proper air pressure? You can jack it up and free spin the tire and see what shows up, may be a bent rim.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sat for a few weeks on concrete. Doubtful of a bent wheel, alloy factory ones.
Seems like a good excuse to order some Bighorns.........these stock tires SUCK!

Will get it jacked up and check for a bent wheel though.....good idea!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Tire flat spot. It should go away......Pump them up good and maybe get them warm like inside a building or what ever.

Kinda odd it happened after such a short time. Was there a load on the atv or was it dragged ?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No,........no load sitting on it, was not dragged either.
It's just weird.......

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Could you have a clump of mud on the inside of one of the rims, or snow/ice?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know when I ran bias ply Super Swamper LTB's on my jeep they would flat spot even only after sitting overnight. Would take a couple of miles before they would smooth out. The colder it was, the longer it would take

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah... I'm pretty sure its the tires. Mine does it to when I don't ride it for a couple of days and it's cold outside. Usually after a minute or two of riding it, it will smooth out.

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
I think you are right. That's the perfect reason to upgrade the OEM's to a set of Bighorns. Just have to convince Santa. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great insight fellas!
No slime, no mud, no snow, no ice......must not have gotten them warm enough to smooth out.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks for all the great insight fellas!
No slime, no mud, no snow, no ice......must not have gotten them warm enough to smooth out.
Yea the polaris 50 we have flat spotted the tires only after 3 weeks. Tire pressure was under 4psi. Temps around here are between 65 daytime and 28 at night. It most likely is the tire pressure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a really bad flat spot on one of my rear tires....it was only about 4 months old. The tire had a pretty good "bounce" in it. I took it to the dealer and complained. They replaced my tire under warranty. But yes, the stock tires are junk. I hope to be buying some bighorns before the next spring/summer riding season.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts