Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
went out this afternoon to go for a rip, and bike wouldn't start, was flooded badly, cleaned out carb, changed plug but want to change oil. I found an oil bolt on the bottom right, removed it and drained the little bit of fluid that was in it, it didn't smell like gas... I assume there must be another oil drain someplace, if so where is it and how much and where do I put in the new oil? I don't see an oil filter anywhere either? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
flooded trail boss

thanks for the welcome, its a 91 250 4x4, appreciate any help I can get

·
Registered
527 Posts
The oil tank is located in front of the headlight. The machine as far as being flooded that sounds like a bad needle valve. With the carb removed you or your delear can pressure test it. This will tell you if you need to replace needle valve or not. They are around 30.00 I believe. Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help, hopefully I can get it running again and go out for a rip sometime this week! Great site, keep it up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
so I assume there is only one place to put in the oil, in front of the headlight, and also assume it was old oil I drained out of the bottom of the engine, and when I put in new oil it will flow into the engine and isn't just for the oil injection(also assume it is oil injected as I haven't ever mixed the gas)? I also don't see an oil filter anywhere? Thanks again for your anticipated response.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes there is only one place to put oil in that machine and yes it is oil injected. There should be an oil filter on your machine. Make sure you bleed the air from the oil pump before running the machine or you will damage the motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again, but I can't find an oil filter, maybe I have to remove some plastics to find it? Any ideas? Thanks again, I really appreciate the help, this site is great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found out there are two inline filters, thats why I couldn't find them, one under the gas tank and one under the oil tank. Thanks again for everyone's help, I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright, now just came back from looking for oil and am completely confused. I need 2 stroke oil, and can't find anything specifically for 2 stroke atv's. Can I use the 2 stroke oil for chainsaws/lawnmowers, or should I get the motorcycle type? Also reading the labels some say low ash, does that matter? There is lots of oils for 4 stroke but again nothing specifically for the 2 strokes. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You want an injection oil designed for atv's as they are a lot higher output motor then a lawnmower. Amsoil, Maxima, Redline, and there are numerous others that offer synthetic injection oil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i know this is an old post, but how do you test the needle valve? my xpress is flooding when i turn on the fuel knob, i dunno if it is that but any help?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts