Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Sportsman 850 Trail
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m going through the manual on my 2021 Sportsman 850 reading about the recommended fluid change intervals and it’s recommending trans and gearcase fluids be changed every 1000 km or 100 hours. I’ve just hit 100 hours so I checked all the fluids….all fluids are clear as new. It seems a little excessive to be changing these fluids already considering they are synthetic don’t you think?
I also have a 2021 Sportsman 570 and the intervals are much longer between changes. Opinions?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m going through the manual on my 2021 Sportsman 850 reading about the recommended fluid change intervals and it’s recommending trans and gearcase fluids be changed every 1000 km or 100 hours. I’ve just hit 100 hours so I checked all the fluids….all fluids are clear as new. It seems a little excessive to be changing these fluids already considering they are synthetic don’t you think?
I also have a 2021 Sportsman 570 and the intervals are much longer between changes. Opinions?
Well to answer my own question, I went ahead and changed all fluids, and even though they were very clean there was still metal shavings built up on the magnetic drain plug, so I guess those intervals are accurate.

·
Super Moderator
15,600 Posts
It is a little overkill probably, but fresh oil and grease are cheap insurance and inspecting the drained oil allows you to catch any potential problem before it becomes a real problem (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I grease every 25hrs, oil and filter every 50, all fluids and grease the wheel bearings every 100.
I forgot about wheel bearing….what grease are you using for that? Same as for the suspension? Is there much involved in doing it, like do they need to be removed and repacked? I’ve never done wheel bearings before?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I forgot about wheel bearing….what grease are you using for that? Same as for the suspension? Is there much involved in doing it, like do they need to be removed and repacked? I’ve never done wheel bearings before?
Easy to do, did mine for first time the other day. just requires a bit of wrenching to remove hub. I believe it’s 44mm bearing greaser you’ll need….over the axel

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,445 Posts
You need a 44mm over the axle bearing greaser. Pull off the tire, remove the caliper, remove the axle nut, remove the hub, insert the greaser and add some grease. Don’t overdue it so that you pop the seals, just enough that you see the seals expand and grease comes out. Air and water will leak out first if you’ve never greased them, so don’t be fooled by that. You will need anywhere between 10-15 pumps the first time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need a 44mm over the axle bearing greaser. Pull off the tire, remove the caliper, remove the axle nut, remove the hub, insert the greaser and add some grease. Don’t overdue it so that you pop the seals, just enough that you see the seals expand and grease comes out. Air and water will leak out first if you’ve never greased them, so don’t be fooled by that. You will need anywhere between 10-15 pumps the first time.

Thank you…just watched a bunch of YouTube videos on it and ordered the tools. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
40 Posts

did it bother anyone but me that he did not torque that to spec? With all the mental masturbation I went through installing new ones he just air hammers them on?

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts