Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered fluid dipping my atv fenders so that I could have a camouflage atv. I looked at the wraps but after purchasing the wrap I could pay a little more and just have it fluid dipped. Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I just saw that yesterday on one of the car shows. They were taking plastic trim pieces and making them look like they were carbon fiber. It looked really neat. Not sure about durability though as I have never experienced it in person.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I knew a guy doing rifle stocks. After the film is applied, he sprayed clear over it to protect the film. So in the end, it's a bit more durable than paint.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
remember, all the stock camo's are hydro graphics. Just saying.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just saw that yesterday on one of the car shows. They were taking plastic trim pieces and making them look like they were carbon fiber. It looked really neat. Not sure about durability though as I have never experienced it in person.
Somebody watched Wheeler Dealers :lmao:

If the process is like they pictured on the show I assume that it should be very durable. For what I could gather they painted the surface then they hydro dipped it and they it got a coat of clear so it should be something that can take on the elements.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew a guy doing rifle stocks. After the film is applied, he sprayed clear over it to protect the film. So in the end, it's a bit more durable than paint.
Im doing it!! I bought my sage green X2 used and it must have sat outside a little. I hate the looks of it. Its not really that bad but after seeing my friends painted green 850 ive got to do something.
Gonna go with the satin clear coat. They have gloss, low gloss, satin, and flat. They also put flex in the primer and clear coats so it should hold up. Ill post pics for sure when it is done. Give me a week to remove the plastics and the shop needs a week to coat it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
remember, all the stock camo's are hydro graphics. Just saying.
Yep......wonder if they have clear over them?
They do. thats why the older Polaris Camo's turned purple. The company contracted to do the clear coat used the wrong kind of clear to prevent the UV damage.
That was another thing that I thought of going with the clear coat. Seems that the gloss finish may turn out to be a bust. Gonna stay with the satin or flat clear coat.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Can't wait to see the before-after pics. You are taking pics for us right?
I first heard about 'dipping' on one of my gun forums. One of the guys had his wood stocks camo dipped. Looked great and later he said it was holding up well.
It was a Marlin 1895 45-70 levergun.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I will do some pics. Thinking of going with a darker camo. Basically the bike will look mostly flat black but camo with all of the colors. Not just black,gray, etc. Still undecided with the camo scheme.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Cool..... can't wait to see the before/after pics either!!!! Do you have a sample of the camo pattern your going to go with..... or are you going to keep us in suspence??

How about a little MoringWoodCamo:

·
Registered
526 Posts
ZEP 1 gal. Wet-Look Floor Polish-ZUWLFF128 at The Home Depot

If you want to try the wet look here is something they have at Lowes, etc that is used in the RV and Boating world for a new look that is good for a couple years without a touch up coat we have found and ammonia will strip it if you do not like it.

Just google Red Max Pro (the old name it was sold under) or Zep Wet-Look (only name it is sold under now from the OEM maker as far as I know and you can see photos of boats and RV's, golf carts, etc.

It is just a simple water based clear acrylic plastic film coating that is tough enough to stand up to foot traffic with grit on the soles. Being a floor coating it does not have UV protection but does hold up well we have found except on horizon surfaces setting in hot summer sun day after day especially if a very dark color.

There are companies that sell it in quart bottles for boat owners for much more than a gallon at Lowes, HD goes for.

We have found for the MH after the initial prep (deep cleaning) and applying 4-5 coats with a rag if we come back every year or two and wash it well then go back over it with another coat it will stay looking good. We have used on to plastic, fiber glass and painted metal OK.

The fact that you can stripe it off if you do not like it was a plus to get us to try it.

If you have the skin off your ATV this is a no brainer as a coat only takes about 3.2 minutes to apply. It is just like taking a wet rag and rubbing down the skin.

Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

·
Registered
978 Posts
cant wait to see the pics!!! I was also thinking of doing this to my wheeler for a cool camo look

1 - 14 of 14 Posts