Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. The four wheeler was running great, however, it died yesterday while driving on the trail. When I went to restart, the engine struggled to turn over (via elect start). I tried the pull start, however, it was very hard to pull.

I towed the four wheeler back to my garage to investigate further. I first jacked up the rear to lift the back tires of the ground. I tried to start again, no change. Thus, I assume its not a clutch issue. I then removed the spark plug and tried again. No change. The engine still labored to turn over.

I have inspected the flywheel and see no visible damage. Thus, I am stuck. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any other troubleshooting guidance you can provide? Thank you in advance.

Andrew

·
Registered
839 Posts
did you check the oil level ?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Nothing abnormal on the clutch side? If not, pull the flywheel and see what's underneath. Something is binding and it's either the clutch, flywheel or inside the motor. You hope it is external so dig into those first.

Seems similar to when my flywheel weights let go and took out my stator. It bound up pretty good and had me stumped till I pulled the flywheel. Mine had exposed magnets and has since been updated. Maybe you have the same type of flywheel.

·
Registered
958 Posts
58-72 ft lbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts