Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok. I just bought an 04 trailblazer. They said the motor was locked up so I got it CHEAP. turns out that it wasn't locked up. The magnets in the flywheel were shattered and the stator unit destroyed. I replaced the parts and got it run with ease. Road it up the block and back a couple times. Pull started it repeatedly. Started and ran great every time. BUT. After I was playing around with getting the starter working with an external power source, (just cranked never started) I went to pull start it again and it was locked up. Same thing again. Magnets damaged and came apart in the flywheel. Looks like something hit it. Didn't feel much play in the crank bearings. Looks like stator unit is ok. Hopefully. Does anyone have any ideas or have seen this before.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Never seen it before. You said you 'didn't feel much play in the crank bearings'. You shouldn't feel any play, if it was mine I'd put a run-out guage on the end of the crank to check rotational straightness. Take out the spark plug and remove the clutch cover & belt then have someone turn the engine with the drive clutch while you watch the gauge.

As long as the stator is bolted on correctly and the flywheel is torqued on correctly (no rough spots on the crank mating surface that could cause it to go on crooked) and the key is placed correctly the only other variable I see are the crank bearings or the crankshaft not being straight. How does the crank seal look? Was it clean or oily when you took off the stator/flywheel?

If the crank bearings are bad the starter drive gear could apply enough force from one side while turning the flywheel to move it into contact. Still that's a stretch but it's all I can think of. Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So little movement in crank shaking it from the clutch side may have been clutch I felt. Seals looked great. Ran perfect until I messed with starter. Could the Bendix jammed and flexed I that much? Funny its done I twice really. I Putin a used flywheel. Maybe it was bad. I've seen these things with major crank bearing play not do this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's up and down and forward-rearward play you are interested in on the flywheel side not the clutch side to tell if a crank bearing is bad. End play is ok. Still I recommend you test run-out for a bent crank end. If it's bad enough for stator to flywheel contact you might even be able to see it while it spins. Other than rotation the crank end should look perfectly still while spinning, not moving in an oblong motion. Use one of these.

If it's all straight and the bearings are OK I would agree that the used flywheel was also bad because I see no other reason for the two parts to make contact? The only other thing I can think of is the magnet picked up a loose nut or bolt and was installed with it hanging onto the magnet. I saw that happen once but the stator was also destroyed. That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check the runout on it. Can't see anything visually. Looks pretty true. And I know nothing was stuck in it. I cleaned it all verrrrry thoroughly due to all the pieces coming apart the first time. Thanks for the help. Its pi$$ing me off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry it's been a while. Just got this thing done. It has a bad bearing in the lower end on the flywheel side. Showed no crank play. Bearing fell apart when case was opened. Replaced bearings and all is well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts