Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the flywheel on a sportsman 500 2000 is pressed onto shaft or does it have a keyway? I cannot get timing set right looking through timing hole. Can i crack that case just to take a peek?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the flywheel should have a tapered fit and woodruff key also...the fly wheel presses on when you torgue the crank shaft end nut....the key keeps it in the right position and from turning on crank with rotation of engine

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Thank you. What is the likelihood that this could ever sheer or slip? I am worrysome that i am having a timing issue and want to remove this as a possible factor.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
They have been known to sheer. Remove the case side cover and remove the flywheel nut, you'll know soon enough if the key is gone.
With age ,it does get a lil difficult to see the timing mark on the flywheel, sometimes just removing the side cover is all thats needed to be able to see the TDC mark.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I sheared a key last fall on my 02 500. The dealer fixed it but he had to use a dremmel to fix the key way. I guess it made a mess.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts