Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just picked up a uni filter and figured that One of the three parts stores arond my place would carry foam filter oil. NOT. all they sell is k&n recharge kits. I ha e heard of guys using chainsaw bar oil?? Any ideas?? what are u guys that have these foam filters using.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
go to a bike shop an look for it..either in a spray or bottle...PJ1 makes one..thats what I got in a spray...spray it on rub in... thats it..

make sure it says foam filter oil on the can

·
Registered
166 Posts
go to a bike shop an look for it..either in a spray or bottle...PJ1 makes one..thats what I got in a spray...spray it on rub in... thats it..

X2. Each bike company also has air filter oil. Chain saw bar oil is also very tacky and will probably stay in place. You can buy that in gallon jugs. Plain old motor oil will also work for a short time. It will migrate down to the bottom of the filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts

X2. PJ1 or BelRay is good. I always prefer the liquid form. Each bike company also has air filter oil. Chain saw bar oil is also very tacky and will probably stay in place. You can buy that in gallon jugs. Plain old motor oil will also work for a short time. It will migrate down to the bottom of the filter.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tried the bar oil one time and it did not work very well not sticky enough and let dirt through. I use the UNI filter oil in the spray can works great and simple to use.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys. Ill try to find foam filter oil. while I have u guys attention (lol) what do you think about the look of this plug?? Jusy pulled it and installed an iridium plug. I havent started the bike in a few days.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like it's running lean. Mine was exactly the same. I run mine in cold weather constantly, and probably will re-jet soon to compensate. For the time being, I installed a plug one heat range colder (ngk, heat range 7) to prevent the spark plug from acting like a glow plug and detonating. Its an iridium as well, and has been there for a year. never fouled up, even when running on the choke for extended periods warming up the quad before plowing the yard.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also plow all the time. I will run the iridium plug with the uni filter and then check. We are suppose to get 15 cm of snow so it will get a good run.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bkr6eix

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do I correct it

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very lean, engine must not run very well like that.
I also pulled that after the bikes been sitting for a week. Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Letting it sit for LONG periods of time may cause partial blockage in jets, and leaning out the air/fuel mixture. Mine sits in an unheated garage for 1 week at a time, with no problems. My plug looked almost the same as yours does, and I figure I simply need to go up 1 jet size on the main jet, and close the idle air mixture adjustment 1/8 to 1/4 turn. that should correct it, OR you can adjust the air mix screw as stated, and drop the clip on the main needle 1 notch. Also look for air leaks on the carb boot.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so the iridium plug looked like this when I pulled it last night.

So I dropped the needle one notch and this is what it looked like today after a good rip around the yard and uo and down the road.

Look better im just wondering if the iridium plugs burn hptter so the dont turn brown???

·
Registered
163 Posts
it still is running extremely lean. You said you dropped the needle one notch... Did you mean that you dropped the clip on the needle one notch? dropping the clip one notch, raises the needle. (raising the needle makes it richer). If you raised the clip a notch, and dropped the needle, you made it leaner. That plug shows signs of very high combustion temperatures, and can result in burned valves, melted piston dome, etc...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it still is running extremely lean. You said you dropped the needle one notch... Did you mean that you dropped the clip on the needle one notch? dropping the clip one notch, raises the needle. (raising the needle makes it richer). If you raised the clip a notch, and dropped the needle, you made it leaner. That plug shows signs of very high combustion temperatures, and can result in burned valves, melted piston dome, etc...
I dropped the clip one notch. (Trying to make it richer). Seems to run better though should I drop it one more notch.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thats the reagular ngk r. Just reinstalled and took it for a rip up and down the road.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts