Polaris ATV Forum banner

? for 08-10 Sportsman 4x4 owners

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  slyder01 
#1 · (Edited)
When you use just the footbrake does it stop the atv good and can you lock-up the rear wheels using it? On my new 09 400 HO the rear brake barely works with the handlebar lever or the footbrake and the dealer said that is just the way it is and there is nothing he can do to make it better. Dealer said he called Polaris today and they said that`s just the way the rear brakes are on the 400`s. You can put the rear of the atv on a stand and run it in drive and put the brakes on and the rear wheels will keep on turning and finally stop but you cannot get them to lock-up just by putting the brakes on . I don`t think that`s normal. Being a safety issue seems as though Polaris would want to do something about it.

#2 ·
that doesnt sound right to me either simple things first check the fluid level if you havent already, if thats ok then bleed the brakes .

#4 ·
I would remove the rear wheel and inspect the caliper, sounds like the piston is stuck in the caliper and not coming out all the way to apply the pressure to the rotor. You also might want to check the pins that the caliper floats on and make sure everything is free and moves smoothly.
The master cylinder could be defective. This is not a complicated system, just eliminate one thing at a time, start with the master cylinder to see if its working properly, then work your way to the back.

#10 ·
what scain said is the next step and the engine braking system has nothing to do with the rear brakes.

#6 ·
I was about to say it's normal till you mentioned that you raised it up and they wouldn't stop the tires from free spinning. The rear brake lever is an "auxillary" brake lever. It helps apply more pressure to the rear brakes along with the main master cylinder on the handlebars. But yeah, even on brand new machines, just using the foot pedal it's not super grabby.

#7 ·
just checked mine, it is the same, the rear tires dont stop spinning using either brakes. Mine does have 1050 miles on it though. Design flaw?,,,probably

#11 ·
it's in the brakes, i have a 400 h.o. The front works great. My daughter always rides that one, thats why i never noticed it before it was just brought up. I jacked mine up also, neither brake did NOT stop the rear tires from spinning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.