Polaris ATV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
But I’m still super pleased that it made over 10lbs (13lbs) and didn’t blow up! No headgasket hanging out of the block, and no rod knock, and no bent or shattered rod! I will have to say. The throttle response on this setup is absolutely wild, it sounds like a top fuel when I wack the throttle

· Registered
56 Posts
Did you not add anything to support your drive shaft off the cam?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
BIG news today guys! I found out there was two vent holes in the supercharger, that led directly to the rotors and was creating a vacuum leak on the carb, making it not want to start and running very very weird. Anyway I put screws in the holes and tested it again today. I saw 17lbs of boost (not on video) and I saw 15 on video. The only thing keeping it from making 20-30lbs of boost is the fact the belt is slipping like crazy. I will be switching back to the larger pulley as soon as I get a larger belt ordered and hopefully that will keep it close to 15lbs 😬
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Household hardware Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ok.... I have found the first casualty. The metal I used to bolt an output shaft to the cam was too thin, and broke off! I fixed this by re welding the output shaft to a much thicker peice of metal and I’ll hope for the best 👍 thankfully the engine was at idle and within a second of the pulley breaking off I shut down the engine. The damage was minimal and it only messed up the cam gear cover.
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Body jewelry Gas Motor vehicle Auto part
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Wood Auto part
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim
Hand Plant Camera lens Camera Grass
Automotive tire Road surface Gas Asphalt Grass
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I have some good news! I finally got it to idle with the supercharger and it runs very smoothly. Only problem I have at the moment is over 1/3 throttle the engine goes crazy lean and stalls it... that’s a simple fix, either need a larger main jet, or the main jet is clogged. I will have a video posted shortly for you all to hear how it sounds

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I think I would be fabricating a cage/cover for that mechanism if I was gonna ride it. That belt and pully could be hard on the leg and gonads if it were to come apart at high rpm lol.
I have thought about the belt situation but I made it come off at full speed on purpose, and it really doesn’t do anything. The weight of the belt is so little that it just flings off and does nothing. And once the plastics are all back on those will be more than enough to contain the belt in the time of an accident
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
ignore the belt touching itself. I just need to get a different belt or do something else with my tensioner situation.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust

Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
And great news today! Yesterday I finished making my belt tensioner and after starting it I ran into endless tuning issues. I found out the stock fuel pump was not delivering enough fuel. So I switched over to an electric pump and that keeps the carb full.
I had drilled out the main jet to a 160 and that is a little bit too much. Going to go back to a stock jet and work with that along with this new fuel pump. My afr is about 12 at idle and then richens out far past what my guage can read past 1/4 throttle. Today was the first time I have ran the engine long enough to warm up with the supercharger. It took about 5min for me to feel a decent ammount of heat in the oil cooler and head.
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset Wheel

for anyone wondering I did not need a pressure regulator with that pump. The carb handles the pressure just fine.

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,248 Posts
I think we're on to something here...

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I know it’s been a while but here’s an update: I got another pulley and fixed the belt situation. After doing this I ran the quad for about 15min to check temperatures of the oil and head. Out of nowhere I heard a squeaky knocking sound and I felt the engine to feel if it was rod knock, as I looked back up the supercharger just locked up and stalled the engine. I took it apart and found out the press fit gears inside had slipped on the rotor shafts and caused the rotors to hit eachother. I’ll be getting a refund from the seller and my plan is to re align the rotors and weld the gears to the rotor shafts
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Bicycle part Bumper

Hand Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Gas

Product Gear Bicycle part Auto part Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rim Vehicle

Grey Wood Close-up Metal Fashion accessory

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Another update for y’all! I disassembled the blower and found what I suspected. The press fit gears were not tight enough and with light blows from a hammer and a little bit of heat from a propane torch I got one right off. So I re clocked the rotors, cleaned the blower case and ground the press fit gear down so it fit around the shaft easily. From there I aligned the rotors to where I thought they should be and welded the gears to the rotor shafts. It’s permanently together but it will hopefully last for a year till we turbo it. The blower now spins with less resistance then it ever had, and has no spots where it binds up! If it isn’t too cold tomorrow I’ll have this blower back on and I’ll be working on a fuel system!
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bottle Bumper

Bicycle part Rim Automotive tire Bicycle drivetrain part Vehicle brake

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Well.... I put the blower back on and ran it for about 10min. I almost got the engine up to temp, but I did a quick throttle whack and the blower immediately locked up.... I took it apart and found my gears were still properly welded to their rotor shafts, but I found out the rotors were made of aluminum and also press fit onto their shafts. This meant that as the blower got warm the rotors would expand more then the rotor shafts and then slip. I attempted to fix this by putting screws through the rotor and into the rotor shaft. I may run it again today and see if it locks up again 😖
Bottle Blue Drinkware Drink Gas

Crankset Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Finger Sunglasses Glove Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Gear Wheel Bicycle part Rim

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Road surface

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Synthetic rubber

· Administrator
20,088 Posts
what is that supposed to mean? Do you really think this was cheap?
No I don't think it was cheap, but you used cheap parts, cheap machining/engineering methods and wasted a huge amount of time accomplishing almost nothing. From an engineering point of view, it was an excellent exercise in futility. From a machinist point of view, it was an excellent example of what will and will not work. From a mechanics point of view, what is supposed to be the result of wasting time on this project other than finding out what parts and methods NOT to use?

61 - 80 of 106 Posts