Polaris ATV Forum banner
101 - 106 of 106 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
And I was considering the replies to my post about the compression going up in the engine.... I'm going to check cam timing to make sure the position hasn't moved. I've had the cam out several times and have not checked timing on the crank, I just simply aligned the gear with the colored chain link. The timing chain could have still slipped on the crank, so along with a new cam gear I'll be checking timing.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Well I finally got some parts in... Got a new cam gear and a spare crank and connecting rod. I swapped the cam gear with no issues and found out the timing was still perfect! The valve lash was also still in spec. The old timing gear was missing 15 teeth! The gear I replaced it with is actually used, but still in mint condition. I also replaced the key and ignition, because the quad only had the spare key after a rollover a number of years ago broke the main key. I still haven't got around to running it because the blower belt just came in before some terrible weather hit and made it miserable outside.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Self-propelled artillery Combat vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

Gear Automotive tire Bicycle part Tool Rim

Automotive tire Rim Circle Bicycle part Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Rim Tire

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Also to anyone wondering, the custom cvt weights I have are 28gram each. This is 2x the weight of stock which is 14g, and I am using 6 28g weights and 2 14g weights to achieve my desired shift rate. Hope this helps for anyone attempting to fix the issue of slow shift rate on Hawkeyes. This is the best thing you can do for one. It will greatly improve fuel economy and drivability. This mod can be done at stock power, but you may have to only do 4 28g weights.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts