Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, on the last day of Sierra Trek, My son in a Rubicon Jeep my Grandson in a Rubicon Jeep, and me on a 12 550 XP went on the Fordyce trail going to Meadow lake from I 80. I had to winch so many times that I would not even wind up my winch cable, I just wrapped it around my chain saw rack. The plastic factory skid plates worked very well, but the factory frame under the engine DID NOT!!! The supports for the floorboards were pretty much destroyed. The plastic plates under the floorboards were broken into 5 pieces on one and 1 very busted up piece on the other side. It is all fixed now though.

I used a piece of 1/4" steel plate under the engine after I cut out the original factory piece and threw it away. I also welded some side wings going up at an angle from the bottom plate to protect the metal floorboard supports. I replaced the plastic floorboard support with a piece of 1/2" aluminum. I covered all of that with a piece of 3/8 plastic.

I guess that the moral of this story is, protect the bottom of your machine.

I will have to say, this country is beautiful! Fordyce creek is very pretty, and I saw fish in it. There are many places that will tip a quad over, and the boulders that the machine would land on would no doubt screw it up! I am to old to take these chances, so I would just use the winch. There were a few ledges that I had trouble with before I made it to winch hill 1. I took the bypass, and had to winch on that too. There was one of the winch hills that went up through a narrow slot. The Kid's Jeeps just barely made it through. I almost made it, but at the top I had to have help. If I would have looked at this before I did it I think I would have said that it was not doable, but then I nearly made it.

This trail was just about as hard as I would ever want to do. I have done the Rubicon 4 times, and it is a lot easier than Fordyce.

When I was done with this trail, I said that I did not want to do it again, but now that I have my quad armor plated, I think that I would do it again. If for no other reason than to see if my armor plating worked.

I can't even imagine how anyone would get a disabled rig out of that trail.

I had a helmet cam on for the first 6 hours, and if I can figure out how to edit it, I will post it.

Oh, the Jeeps both made it, but they had to winch a few times also. My Son's Jeep has a body lift, suspension lift, long arm kit, ARBs in both ends, and 36" tires. Like I say, this is one rough trail.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like my next summer trip.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking forward for the video. Sounds like a good challenging trip.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
how'd the water crossing go that you were worried about?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts