Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both bikes and the difference is night and day. Don't get me wrong, the foreman is a good bike, very dependable. In fact it's a an 03 model and still going strong. And with the ITP mudlites, I use to think it was a beast. Now the 550 is a total different bike. Even with the factory tires. The ground clearance and power of this bike is outstanding. Not to mention the IRS. And ride quality is well, you guys already know. Took a nice 25 mile journey today. What a blast.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The new foremans are nothing special either. I Rode one, it sucked.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No comparison in ride or performance. The only thing the Honda has over Polaris is reliability which is great on the farm but not for making it up that steep mountain trail. I had a Rancher 420 with IRS and it just wore me out after all day in the seat. The XP is just and amazing beast of a machine and it rides like butter!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Some of my friends ride honda's and love them. I just dont understand why every time we come to a stop they have to sit on there bikes and use there feet and handle bars to slap them into a parking gear or whatever they are trying to do. Its like stop the bike, listen to some banjo music, cut it off, apply parking brake, and then dismount. Its like line dancing to country music. Going into reverse is a hole different story too. On my polaris i just apply the parking brake, slide it into park and im done.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
No comparison in ride or performance. The only thing the Honda has over Polaris is reliability which is great on the farm but not for making it up that steep mountain trail. I had a Rancher 420 with IRS and it just wore me out after all day in the seat. The XP is just and amazing beast of a machine and it rides like butter!
Well, being that they only put out 12.5 HP is probably why they are so reliable... ??

If they offered a full blown IRS in the 500, i would own one. The hondamatic is a sweet transmission.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well, being that they only put out 12.5 HP is probably why they are so reliable... ����

If they offered a full blown IRS in the 500, i would own one. The hondamatic is a sweet transmission.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
I can tell you from personal experience the "Auto" tranny on the Ranchers suck! Never in the right gear and you better not make the mistake of not switching to ES during a steep climb or the POS may or may not downshift as needed. That is what caused me to roll mine and total it. The engine bogged and I had to stop half way up a fairly steep climb. When I switched to ES and put it in first and started again without any momentum all hell broke loose and it came back over on me. The 3 speed honda transmission are nice and smooth but offer no engine braking which in my book is essential for controlled decents. I for one will never have a machine without a CVT after having owned both types.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks. That the same for the 500 rincon too?

Hondas biggest downfall us they will not deal, they want you to pay full pop!

I am hooked on CVT, but it is a snowmobile design, been around for ever.
Well, being that they only put out 12.5 HP is probably why they are so reliable... í ½í¸í ½í¸‰

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
I can tell you from personal experience the "Auto" tranny on the Ranchers suck! Never in the right gear and you better not make the mistake of not switching to ES during a steep climb or the POS may or may not downshift as needed. That is what caused me to roll mine and total it. The engine bogged and I had to stop half way up a fairly steep climb. When I switched to ES and put it in first and started again without any momentum all hell broke loose and it came back over on me. The 3 speed honda transmission are nice and smooth but offer no engine braking which in my book is essential for controlled decents. I for one will never have a machine without a CVT after having owned both types.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
And if that hondamatic fails, you may as well go buy a new quad because they are CRAZY expensive to work on/replace. Lots of moving parts and components. In fact, EVERY single person I know (which is only three :)) that has had the ESP version had an issue with it, one guy was even told by the mechanic when they had his bike in to be repaired that there is some component in the ESP system that has a 100% failure rating. Not sure about the fully automated ones though I have read a lot of complaints about them not being in the right gear at times.

Which Honda uses the 3 speed with a torque converter and no low gear? Those seem to be the most reliable of the bunch.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
And if that hondamatic fails, you may as well go buy a new quad because they are CRAZY expensive to work on/replace. Lots of moving parts and components. In fact, EVERY single person I know (which is only three :)) that has had the ESP version had an issue with it, one guy was even told by the mechanic when they had his bike in to be repaired that there is some component in the ESP system that has a 100% failure rating. Not sure about the fully automated ones though I have read a lot of complaints about them not being in the right gear at times.

Which Honda uses the 3 speed with a torque converter and no low gear? Those seem to be the most reliable of the bunch.
I think you may be confused, the 680 rincon uses a three speed auto car trans, no low gear and should be avoided.

From what i have read, the hondamatic in the 500 rubicon is near bullet proof. Key is keeping the engine oil clean, and using honda engine oil. That is what i read on honda forums and a few farming forums too.

Those electric shift 420's are a joke, would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

I think you may be confused, the 680 rincon uses a three speed auto car trans, no low gear and should be avoided.

From what i have read, the hondamatic in the 500 rubicon is near bullet proof. Key is keeping the engine oil clean, and using honda engine oil. That is what i read on honda forums and a few farming forums too.

Those electric shift 420's are a joke, would mot touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.
I had an 07 rubicon it was great besides some electrical issues. If they would put irs on I would go back to it in a heartbeat!!

2013 850ho

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a '98 450 with the electric shift. I rode year round in snow, mud, water and sand. For tires I ran Bearclaws and the thing was awesome. I sold that bike with 15,000 kilometers on it and only needed 1 set of brakes, a set of wheel bearings all around along with regular grease and oil changes. The electric shift was flawless.

I even use to enter it in ATV/Mini Tractor pulling competitions and it did great in the 500 class. Usually the only thing that would out pull it were the Suzuki Vinsons.

If that bike had independent suspension I would still own it. After a full day of riding you were definitely ready for a rest.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. Sounds like you really enjoyed that bike.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

Those electric shift 420's are a joke, would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Thanks,

Will

2012 Sportsman 400HO.
I would not touch an ESP version either. NO WAY.

The Rincon 680 was the one I was thinking of. It has a torque convertor w/3 speed auto trans and no low gear. They seem pretty well built but idk what Honda was thinking with no low gear. The fully automatic five speed ones seem less troublesome than the ES but I have read how it likes to "hunt" for gears in certain situations.

If I had to buy a Honda I would probably get one with the good old fashioned foot shift, tried and true.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Some of my friends ride honda's and love them. I just dont understand why every time we come to a stop they have to sit on there bikes and use there feet and handle bars to slap them into a parking gear or whatever they are trying to do. Its like stop the bike, listen to some banjo music, cut it off, apply parking brake, and then dismount. Its like line dancing to country music. Going into reverse is a hole different story too. On my polaris i just apply the parking brake, slide it into park and im done.
LOL This is so true.

Why do they make it so ridiculous to go into reverse. Both my 86' and 91' Honda Fourtrax were the same way.

Stop, squeeze the brake, hold, shift into neutral, push down the little button on top of the handlebars, hold, shift down into reverse, release brake, and finally you can back up!.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I almost bought a 2004 Rincon GPScape... glad I bought my SP 700 instead. The Rincon would have been totally unfit for the riding I do today. I'm sure it is a great flat lander cruiser though.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My '85 TRX 250 is the same way with reverse. It is a bullet proof quad though.

LOL This is so true.

Why do they make it so ridiculous to go into reverse. Both my 86' and 91' Honda Fourtrax were the same way.

Stop, squeeze the brake, hold, shift into neutral, push down the little button on top of the handlebars, hold, shift down into reverse, release brake, and finally you can back up!.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep. Sounds like you really enjoyed that bike.
Very much...but I do enjoy the modern ride and power of the polaris line. Now that my 850 is working correctly I can ride a very tough and technical 100 km and I'm immediately ready to do it again...so smooth :)

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
LOL This is so true.

Do you have to click your heels together three times too? :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ I forgot that part !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts