Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been in the market for a puller bike for awhile...I found one! Here's the link....1999 Diesel Polaris 4 X 4 ATV with snow plow

I have a few ?'s about it....

Is it mechanically injected?

What should I look out for on these? (Be specific...I'm not new to quads)

What years had glowplugs?

Did they only have electric start?

Any and all replies will be appreciated...

Ben

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Best I could find:

Powerful Polaris .455 liter, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke diesel engine. Advanced dry-sump lubrication system. Exclusive, independent long-travel (9.5") suspension with stabilizing anti-roll bar. Tight-turning MacPherson strut long-travel (6.25") front suspension. Independent 4-wheel shaft drive. Intelligent On-Demand true 4-wheel drive with thumb switch engage. Automatic transmission with dual-sensing EBS (Engine Braking System). Single-lever, all-wheel hydraulic disc brakes; hydraulic rear foot brake. Industry-leading 11" of ground clearance. Dual batteries for maximum cranking power. Compression release. Long list of hard-working accessories.

Manufacturer Polaris
Model Year 1999
Model 1999 Diesel
MSRP $7,499.00*
DIMENSIONS
Length 81.0 in.(205.7cm)
Height 47.0 in. (119.4cm)
Width 46.0 in. (116.8cm)
Weight 755 lbs. (342kg)
Wheelbase 50.5 in. (128.3cm)
ENGINE
Engine 455cc, liquid-cooled diesel, 4-stroke with counter balance
Displacement 455cc
Carburetion Direct injection
Fuel Capacity 3.75 gal. (14.19L)
Starting electric start
Lubrication Dry sump

DRIVETRAIN

Transmission PVT (Polaris Variable Transmission) with Automatic EBS (Engine Braking System), E-Z shift high/low and reverse

Drive Thumb -switch engage 4-wheel independent shaft drive

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES

Brakes

Front: Single-lever hydraulic disc, hydraulic rear foot brake

Rear: Hydraulic, opposed piston caliper/rear fixed axle fixed disc

Tires

Front: 25 x 8-12, (4 psi)

Rear: 25 x 11.0-10, (3psi)

OPERATIONAL
Suspension

Front: MacPherson strut, 6.25" (15.9cm) of travel

Rear: Progressive rate swing arm, fully independent w/ anti-roll bar 9.5" (24.1cm) of travel

Load Capacity

Front: 90lbs. (40.8kgs.),

Rear: 180lbs. (81.6kgs.)

Towing Capacity 1225 lbs. (555.7kgs.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Still Doesn't say if it is mechanical or electronic injection...

I've also heard of a turbo kit for them...True or false?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I'll be specific. They can be a work horse. However, they are smelly, leaky little machines that cost a small fortune to maintain and repair. Not many after market parts available and even Polaris may no longer carry some of the parts for a 1999 Diesel . You had better have a block heater and even a fuel tank heater if you plan on using it for plowing. They do not like to start when it's cold, unless you can keep it in a heated building.

Do a little research before you buy that machine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Friend had an artic cat 700 diesel HATED it!! Said if you were going down a road and hit a very slight incline it would just keep going slower.. and slower and slower. lol Said it had now HP but gobs of torque. Great for going reallllllllly slow and fuel economy but worthless everywhere else.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be building a custom tank for it...Probably go with a stainless custom tank with a heater built in...BUT my question is, Is it mechanical injection or electric?

The reason I have chosen to go with the Polaris diesel....is because of the reliability. (compared to other brands)
Plus...I CAN'T keep away from a Diesel! That fact alone is enough to sell me on 'em.

·
Registered
851 Posts
they do pull. get some really good tires though. a friend of ours has one, says it will just rip the lugs of if you aren't careful and push it to hard. but man does it pull!

if you want a gas model for pulling try a 6x6. tested at an ATV pull, my 6x6 vs my friends 455D. they're about dead even! plus you get an 800 pound capacity rear cargo box!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
6x6 > 455 Diesel

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I think I'll pick it up...They were rare and they were diesel! (I'm a diesel apprentice so there is NO issue with the diesel factor). Any input from actual owners?????

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Good luck. let us know how it works out for you.

Just a note. There is a reason why they are rare...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do! (I still have to go look at it)....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sold!!!!!:screams::screams::screams::screams:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts