Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a chance to run the 700 today after cleaning and re-dressing the clutches yesterday. I wanted to be sure it was running smoothly.

Good news is, yes it is... bad news is I appear to have some broken motor mounts! I also seem to have full speed at about 56/5700rpms. Should be a little higher IINM. My spring change may help this.

Sorry for the shaky clip, I was holding the phone... Also the sound changes because I cupped my hand around the microphone. Notice the secondary remains stationary while the primary torques rearward. Both should be stationary.

B8FB05E7-4A37-47A8-ADE1-FFF9D83AF06A-1689-0000025EDFAAD4C5_zps79f64106.mp4 Video by CWLONGSHOT | Photobucket

New mounts are on order...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/CWLONGSHOT/media/Quads/Polaris Sportsman 700/83388B17-F2DB-4AF3-812B-077CD5CBCB0D-1689-00000268DFD5E894_zps89dd7063.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Odd because I have NOT had any problems associated with this problem... Broken belts, Creeping or hard shifting. Its really been fine...

NAPA # 602-1069 OR Polaris # 3022071
CW

·
9,470 Posts
Cw, I've had to replace front mounts on three different machines in the last couple months. Only one was actually giving any noticeable problems. I now check them as part of regular service and maintenance. There is a newer replacement part number that is supposed to be better quality.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd bet your top end mph will change after the motor mount replacement too!! Belt will be tighter at rev's allowing for more climb in the clutches and more rpm to rear.

Good catch on the motor mount & Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a NAPA part number for a replacement. IIRC 1964 Falcon. Not positive but I have the PN 602-1069

It is als supposedly stronger then factory. I will stop and order tonight. I will post up the repair for the benifit of posterity. ;)

CW

·
Registered
215 Posts
Got a quick question. I know if you do certain clutch kits that you lose some high end. Does anyone know how much? Say my machines top speed is 40, will I lose 5 mph? 10?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a quick question. I know if you do certain clutch kits that you lose some high end. Does anyone know how much? Say my machines top speed is 40, will I lose 5 mph? 10?
You CAN loose some speed... its NOT set in stone tho... How much you loose (or GAIN) depends on YOUR setup. Its a mixture of springs and weights.

Choose a clutch kit and speak with that maker. Most all will take time to get things the way you want it!

BTW, I stopped at the NAPA store today, Ill have two mounts tomorrow morning. 10$ ea.. less than HALF the cost of the popo parts... ;) Also the PN is correct but it fits a 1960/61 Ford Falcon.

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up the mounts today... they misquoted me on the price...

It was 3.59 EACH... 7.18 TOTAL for two! POPO parts are 23-27 EACH depending on where you buy them...

CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upper mounts all fixed

OK It took about 30 minutes including one beer. ;)

The NAPA mount is ever so slightly thicker, the studs are about 1/8'' longer on each side and overall MUCH stiffer. It also uses THE SAME NUTS!!!

All parts for front mount.

ALL DONE!

I decided to swap out the side mount too. Mine was fine but I was curious to see how much different the mounts here. the softness of the stockers was obvious.

This one is harder to do and most of the time was spent here. The lower 1/2'' bolt was not removable. The exhaust pipe is in the way. Lucky I only needed to loosen it!! ;) The the nut on the back of the mount... NO WAY to get that... or so I thought... a very long ext, 3/8'ratchet and wobble with a 9/16'' socket from the OTHER SIDE OF THE BIKE had it off in minutes!
I was a bit worried about the longer studs but there was enough room.

I ran the engine and it still torque to the rear but less then a 1/8''... I checked the lower mounts and they appear just fine.

Video below, click to view.

CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts