Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2000 Polaris Xpedition and I missed the fact that the shifter had been broken and welded on!

The weld broke shortly after I purchased it. So I ordered the necessary parts to fix it.

Obviously, before I opened the clutch cover, I drained the oil and I heard a clunk in the pan. I carefully poured off the oil and found this delightful component remaining:

It is about .146" in diameter--the question is, where is it from? Do I need to pull the engine/trans, split the housing, and look for the missing/broken pin?

By the way, it did shift through all the gears and into reverse. It has about 2000 miles and 325 hours according the speedometer and was used for plowing at some point (still had the Polaris plow attachments bolted on).

I would appreciate any thoughts on repairing this.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Does everything seem to function okay? :dunno: I wouldn't tear into it if all was working. Does that model have the safety feature that the foot brake has to be pressed to shift into high range or from park (will have spring from foot brake pedal to the tranny, to operate a pin/plunger assembly)?? I know I bypassed this on my 2005 model sportsman, and the "push pin" end of that assembly was about that size if I remember right? This may make sence if the shift lever/mechanism was broken itself..... someone may have forced it??? :dunno:

Hopefully other sill have an opinion for you too.

Good luck if you choose to tear into it..... but I'd leave well enough alone, if it was working okay!!

By the way.... Hello & Welcome :wave:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Does everything seem to function okay? :dunno: I wouldn't tear into it if all was working. Does that model have the safety feature that the foot brake has to be pressed to shift into high range or from park (will have spring from foot brake pedal to the tranny, to operate a pin/plunger assembly)?? I know I bypassed this on my 2005 model sportsman, and the "push pin" end of that assembly was about that size if I remember right? This may make sence if the shift lever/mechanism was broken itself..... someone may have forced it??? :dunno:

Hopefully other sill have an opinion for you too.

Good luck if you choose to tear into it..... but I'd leave well enough alone, if it was working okay!!

By the way.... Hello & Welcome :wave:
X2

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
123 Posts
that looks almost identical to the pins/dowels inside the hilliard clutch on my 2000 sportsman. Not sure how they travel to crankcase though....lol:ponder:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
that looks almost identical to the pins/dowels inside the hilliard clutch on my 2000 sportsman. Not sure how they travel to crankcase though....lol:ponder:
He didn't state specifically which drain plug it came out of.... but since he was talking about the shifter linkage breaking/being welded and repaired, I assumed he was draining the rear trans/diff.

May want to clarify which drain plug it came out of? :dunno:

·
12,400 Posts
From looking at the parts diagram it could be any one of several pins in the tranny.... 7,9,21,42,43. Since you said the shifter was broken I'd guess it to likely be #21 in the shift cam. (#21 3086372 PIN) Should be a pretty easy fix once you get it apart. Here's a link for the Polaris parts catalog for you to look yourself and get the part number.
http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow!

You guys are great. Let me answer some questions, it is a 425, five speed manual, and the engine/transmission are in one housing.

I drained the engine/trans oil. I don't think it is a shifter pin (too easy) as I was looking at the part when I replaced the shifter. I wish it was, that would be easy.

Four wheel drive works fine, the hubs activate with the switch.

At this point, I will just put 'er back together and not open it up until I have too.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Dave.

·
12,400 Posts
Sorry, the link I gave you was no good. Here is a working version.

Browse

After further inspection, there is a pin that acts as a stop, I think, for the clutch release lever (#35) that is just inside the clutch cover. The pin is #33. If the shifter was jammed hard enough to break it off that could very well be the pin that sheared. It would be very easy to fix since you said you already had the cover off. The manual clutch on your machine operates very similar to a Honda Fourtrax. Did you check to see if the clutch is releasing when you lift the shifter part way as it's supposed to?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts