Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2000 polaris xplorer that grinds into gear and wants ton reap forward or stall if I apply the brake. I put a new belt on and inspected both clutches that seem to be working properly. The secondary driven clutch spins at an idle and I assume this is why I can't shift into gear without jamming the shifter. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I just purchased a 2000 polaris xplorer that grinds into gear and wants ton reap forward or stall if I apply the brake. I put a new belt on and inspected both clutches that seem to be working properly. The secondary driven clutch spins at an idle and I assume this is why I can't shift into gear without jamming the shifter. Can someone shed some light on this for me? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks
Incorrect..... the secondary "should not" spin at idle, only the primary. The belt should not be spinning at idle either.

First guess, would be that your idle is to high? Second guess, clutches are not alligned propperly.... or belt is incorrect size..... or you need clutch work / rebuild (springs getting weak)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I ordered the same belt that it came with but that doesn't mean it's the correct one. I will look that up.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Another thought is that you may have a broken motor mount. Lots of things to check.

Good Luck, you'll get it figured out!! :fing02:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
To check alignment, take belt cover off, start machine rev up in neutral, watch clutches squeeze belt and belt ride up, let idle, belt should be centered in primary,'front clutch' if not there are shims behind secondary, rear clutch, remove or add shims to center belt on primary. Can get a Gates belt from O'reilly's . non Ebs #20G 4022-G-force, if it has Ebs clutch # is 19G4006 E, Gates makes Polaris belts, much cheaper from parts house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts