Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Scrambler 500. It's a great bike and I have lots of fun on it. I'm in the Midwest and over the last 24 hrs we've gotten lots of snow. I wanted to get the scrambler out to have fun with the kids but when I flip the 4x4 switch it doesn't work. It just stays in 2x4. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm fairly capable if it requires some mechanical smarts. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Is there a fuse for the 4x4 system? That would be my first check.

After that, I would pull apart the 4x4 switch box and see if the switch is actually making contact. You can do this with the quad turned off (needs to be off to measure resistance) and a multimeter set to measure resistance (ohms, symbol is Ω).

If that checks out, I would trace out that cable to the other end, and measure resistance between the output of the switch and the other end of that cable. If your switch and cable aren't letting the signal get to the electronic controls, then the mechanical side will never know what to do.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Could also start by changing the fluid. IT HAS TO BE polaris demand drive fluid so that the 4X4 can work correctly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pull the hubs apart check if magnet is working, flatness of tab washers and inspect rollers inside the cage. Polaris fluid is not necessary run a synthetic atf

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What year? Makes a big difference in what the problem may be. If its pre 04.5 then change out the fluid in the hubs if its later then change out the fluid in the front differential. In the newer ones there is a fuse for the front diff that will cut out the 4x4 or at least there is one in my XP. Check that. After that you need to check the wiring to the hubs/front diff to make sure that you are getting 12v to the hubs and back to ground.

You can test them by unplugging them an applying 12v to the wires and seeing if magnet locks the diff/hub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts