Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been a busy summer. got a new hobby to help keep me busy.

I started doing Fractal burned wood working.

This all started when I just wanted to have a project for myself. Just to have something to work on. So I thought I'd make myself a Cribbage board. Well, I've now made 11 boards, and none of them are mine. lol.

Any way thought I'd show you some of the boards.

All of them are using exotic hardwoods. Purple Heart, Padauk, Peruvian Walnut, and Bubinga

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Those are cool. What else do you make?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Those are cool. What else do you make?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
just started working in wood & fractal burning. Typically I work with metal. just basic fabrication stuff. All hobby/DIY stuff. I work a desk job.

but I've finally gotten the ability to flatten slabs so I will be making river/estuary tables, live edge stuff, etc.

I recently milled down a 7' section of madrone that is up to 24" in width that are 3-5" thick slabs. will be making some live edge stuff with that, and a buddy of mine is making lap steel guitars too.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would you charge to do a rifle stock,ive seen them and they look cool
A fractal burned rifle stock? that'd be an interesting one. just the burns, or adding epoxy/resin?

Couldn't say how that would hold up over time though if the resin would want to separate due to the recoil force. just watched a youtube video of someone doing a Marlin .22 stock. It definitely looked cool.

·
Registered
157 Posts
there is a few youtube videos of the rifle stocks being done.i know a lot of people talking about getting some done.mite be a money maker for ya.im just to chicken to play with electricity

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you'd probably spend more in shipping both ways and my time than it would cost to build your own burner. lol.

·
Registered
157 Posts
im in north Carolina,and your probably right on shipping but it does look good and ill have one somehow.if you ever decide to do some holler at me and I mite look into it further.keep it up though cause what you did looks great.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are plenty of videos on Youtube on how to make the machine to do it. I think mine cost me less than $50 total, as I got an old Microwave from a buddies remodel.

They didn't fill with resin so there isn't a concern about that. and on a .22 there isn't enough force in the recoil for the wood integrity to be a concern. Especially with how light the burns are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts