Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with their 2012 550 EPS frame cracking. Mine cracked under the rear engine mount. Also the rear rack mounts snapped off . This has happened to a couple of other bikes as well. The dealer and importer here in Australia reckon it is from overloading the rack. I weighed every thing on my rack and it came to 41.5 kgs, the racks are rated to 109 kgs. Getting ready for a very robust discussion with them.

Regards
john

·
Registered
416 Posts
it is a classic problem, you are not alone. Those bikes are very heavy and the frame seems to have bad stress points.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Classic or common would not be the correct term. There have been a few threads on here discussing a issue with cracked frames but it is not a common issue. Typically a frame issue is a result of abuse, poor welds or improper assembly of the removable frame brace. There are some gusset kits available to strengthen the frame but not sure they are needed but can't hurt. An XP is not something designed for jumping due its weight but it should endure substantial abuse without issue. A more common issue is cracks in the a-arms based on this forum.

I'm sure there is someone here that has had personal experience with a frame issue that could provide better information.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the input. I don't do any jumps etc. But the quad gets a workout when I'm on feral animal culling. We go into some rough areas. The funny thing is my 2005 660 Grizzly is still going and the Polaris is only just over a year old. The trouble is the importer here is saying that I've overloaded the bike. This has caused the frame cracks and the rear racks to break. I weighed all the gear I carry on the rear rack and it comes to 41.5kg, way under what Polaris claim it can handle. Looks like I'm in for a fight here.

Regards
john

·
Registered
416 Posts
Classic or common would not be the correct term. There have been a few threads on here discussing a issue with cracked frames but it is not a common issue. Typically a frame issue is a result of abuse, poor welds or improper assembly of the removable frame brace. There are some gusset kits available to strengthen the frame but not sure they are needed but can't hurt. An XP is not something designed for jumping due its weight but it should endure substantial abuse without issue. A more common issue is cracks in the a-arms based on this forum.

I'm sure there is someone here that has had personal experience with a frame issue that could provide better information.
Well it is a problem well known. Not that almost everyone experienced it but still... It's like can am frames being weak on the old models.

I think the XP's weak spot on the frame are due to the removable sections. They probably create flex when going constantly over very rough and univen terrain.

Some do abuse their machine tough.

Good luck TS with your problem

1 - 5 of 5 Posts