Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was given a "99 scrambler 400 that wont run.i was told it was running but cut off and now wont start.when i trurn the key nothing and when i pull the recoil it wont budge.i take it something in the motor has broken.and ideas on rebuilds what could be wrong? or new engines...hate to say it but im a 52 yr.old newbie to atv's and thanks for looking and reading..

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
being a 2-stroke, and the recoil wont buldge, i willing to bet that somebody ran that thing dry out of oil and the piston is seized up inside it. probably not something you will want to tackle yourself, unless you are comfortable with tools, have a shop manual, and a lot of tools.

the good news is, if they did seize the motor up, being a 2-storke, they are typically pretty fixable and cost less to repair then a 4-stroke would. pulling the head off will tell a lot what happened

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
you could take the belt cover off and check to see if the belt didn't by chance break and get all jumbled up in the front clutch.....it's a longshot but ya never know.
You'll need to take one or the other side off anyways.
take spark plug out,put a lil pen.oil in ,let it soak and try to turn the motor by hand.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
how long has this vehicle been sitting?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Take spark plug out,put a lil pen.oil in ,let it soak and try to turn the motor by hand.
Do this. Pull the plug spray some PB Blaster in the cylinder and let it sit a couple days. If that won't free it up you'll probably have to pull the cylinder and do a full rebuild.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if the battery doesn't have enough juice the starter gear can be stuck in the motor and not allow it to turn. Happened to me. I changed the battery and good as new. Just a possibility you might wanna look at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pull the plug and lube the cylinder (I like marvel mystery oil). I would pull the primary/secondary clutch cover off. Grab the primary clutch with a rag and try to rock it back and forth. If it won't budge, you might try a large pair of channel locks and grab the prinary clutch (use a rag under the jaws so it won't tear up the soft material the clutch is made from). Most people cAn get that far. If it still won't move, it's time to evaluate your skills as a mechanic and decide if you want to tear an engine's top end apart.

·
Registered
673 Posts
At least you didnt pay for the machine. Good luck :veryhappy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts