Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question. I had to rebuild the bottom end of my 01 500 since a piece of crank case busted. I got the motor all back together and im ready to fire it up. My question is, is there anything I should do as far as firing it up without oil in the case. ive heard a couple different things. Ive heard fill the reservoir with oil then start the bike for 40 to 60 seconds and shut it down and recheck the oil and fill accordingly. ive also heard if the oil screen is cleaned you need to prime the oil pump. I want to fire it up jn the morning but km nervouse to burn the motor up. I guess im just not used to firing a bike up without oil in the case. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's a dry sump system. Fill the tank and fire it up.

If you're that worried about it, fill the tank and pull it over 10 -12 times with the pull start without ignition on to pull oil thru the system.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If the moving parts were coated with assembly lube and oil cavities were filled during assembly then absolutely no worries - on initial start up, I recommend you use the oil pump priming procedure outlined in the service manual - in addition, you can remove the spark plug and crank the engine with the electric starter for about 30 seconds to help prime the oil system - sometimes as oil pressure comes up you will hear the spinning engine slow a bit when the pressure builds - if you leave the cap off the oil tank, you can see oil being returned to the tank as the engine cranks or runs - do not leave the cap off the tank when using the oil pump priming procedure.

It might be a worry for a novice mechanic, but for a seasoned veteran who has built hundreds of engines, it's a simple matter to just start the engine and run it. They (we) have confidence in the job done and just fire them up doing a few quick checks to assure all is as expected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts