Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know what brand and viscosity people are using when changing diff fluid and transmission oil. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is what I'm using it was recommended to me from another member named Vandal in the Polaris ace 570 group Rotella T-6 engine oil and a good synthetic 5-20 engine oil in the transmission and a synthetic ATF I'm the front diff , these are the 2 I used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
I always run the Polaris fluid's. Demand Drive for the front and Angle Drive Fluid for the rear or AGL depending on what model you have.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'd say that all depends on how much you ride, I think Polaris suggests every 50 or 100 hours. Or maybe yearly, can't remember now. lol I'll have to look it up again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the manual for the 570 sportsman ace says check the levels at 25 hours and then change them at 100, however I changed all mine sooner but to each his own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
The same. I always put Polaris Fluids in my machines. But how often do you change oils out .
I change all my fluids every 25 hours and with the alternative fluids you can do almost three changes for what one change costs using Polaris fluids....which Polaris doesn't make anyway

·
Registered
244 Posts
The guy I work with told me to only use Polaris in the front diffs because Polaris uses some magnetic something-or-other. Is this not the case?

I looked up the price once of the Polaris fluids for the diffs, and I thought it was around the same price as any substitutes. If that's the case I'll just go with the Polaris fluids. The motor oil is a different story.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The guy I work with told me to only use Polaris in the front diffs because Polaris uses some magnetic something-or-other. Is this not the case?

I looked up the price once of the Polaris fluids for the diffs, and I thought it was around the same price as any substitutes. If that's the case I'll just go with the Polaris fluids. The motor oil is a different story.
Polaris uses a Hilliard demand 4wd front diff.
Hilliard says J20D or J20C John Deere Tractor Hydraulic fluid...
Lots of folks running plain old Dexron III ATF.
The Tractor Supply 2 gallon jug of Traveler UTF meets J20D. $17.65 last time I looked. Or you can pay $14.50 for a quart of Polaris magic juice that's the same stuff.

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Just follow the recommendations in your owners manual, then you won't need to question if it's right or not. :deadhorse:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Just follow the recommendations in your owners manual, then you won't need to question if it's right or not. :deadhorse:
And then just lay down in the middle of the road and let a car run over you. Polaris is going to screw you on lubes as long as you let them so start thinking for yourself....its not rocket science

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
That didn't take you long to respond and bless us with your vast knowledge. I'm sure everyone feels much more educated now... :five:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
That didn't take you long to respond and bless us with your vast knowledge. I'm sure everyone feels much more educated now... :five:
The front Diff on the mildly recent Polaris ATV & UTV models as well as John Deere and others is manufactured by Hilliard Drive Train Products.

Hilliard Drive Train Products Approved Lubricants list:
• Mobilfluid 424
• Mobilfluid LT
• Hytran Ultra
• Hytran
• HyGuard
• Low Viscosity HyGuard
• John Deere J20C
• John Deere J20D
• Texaco Rando HD 46
• Texaco TDH or TDH SS
• Chevron 1000 THF
• Shell Donax TD

NOTE: For you Kool Aid Drinking geniuses... Polaris Demand Drive is not on the Hilliard approved list.
The label on the jug of Traveler UTF from Tractor Supply says it complies with John Deere J20-C. Since J20-C is on the Hilliard list...

I think I'll stick with the recommendation of the outfit that actually made the diff. It has the added benefit of being far less expensive than the Polaris monkey cum...

You Kool Aid drinking geniuses can keep proving P.T. Barnum was right by overpaying for the pretty Polaris bottles of tractor hydraulic fluid. :loser:

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Ahh, nice when someone can actually provide backup along with their suggestions/recommendations, not just "you are an idiot if you use the recommended Polaris fluids." Thanks for sharing the link. :fing02:
Hey Bob....if you want to beat the Polaris bandwagon with your vast knowledge of, Polaris says to use it, for your FACTs then I can play devils advocate with my facts that actually have been proven on this forum many times over, by myself and other members by using the alternatives....with no damage whatsoever. Lets just face the other set of facts...you're a Polaris fan boy as far as their lubes...and that's definitely a big Fact. We can have a difference of opinion but when you keep preaching that there are no alternatives, you will hear from people who know better. Show is all where any damage has occurred from using something other than your liquid gold PS-4 or their other overpriced fluids. We are waiting for those facts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I don't recommend 5W20 motor oil in the transmission because it's chain drive. 5W20 is the right viscosity but it's missing the Extreme Pressure (EP), anti-foaming, and film persistence goodies found in Chaincase oil and ATF. It will work in a pinch and it's a good choice for flushing out creek water but I wouldn't run it all the time if for no other reason than the missing anti-foaming additives.

Actual Chaincase oil has serious corrosion inhibitors, Anti-foaming additives, low or no sulfur EP additives, and oil film persistence goodies so the chain and bearings still have oil after months of disuse. ANY Synthetic Chaincase oil will do the job. It doesn't have to say Polaris on the bottle. Amsoil Synthetic Chaincase oil is very good stuff and it's priced less than the Polaris monkey cum. I've used Amsoil and Bel Ray Chaincase oil in my sleds and ATV. Any way you slice it you will not usually find Synthetic Chaincase oil at Wal Mart or Canadian Tire... I have seen it at Tractor Supply occasionally.

If I were going to use ATF I'd use a modern ATF formulation that's used in recent Front Wheel Drive transmissions like Dexron VI, Mercon V, or ATF Plus4. Most flavors of ATF will have lower EP additive levels than a Chaincase oil. The Exception may be Dexron VI but I'd need to see a VOA sheet on both. None of the above ATF formulations are synthetic either.

I personally experimented with ATF and 5W20 motor oil in my beater sled (1992 Polaris Indy 440). The chain didn't bind up but it got pretty noisy on the motor oil. ATF wasn't noisy but It had a lot more super fine shavings on the drain plug magnet at change time than with the Chaincase oil... and good ATF is generally about the same price point as Synthetic Chaincase oil per Quart or Litre.

I run Traveler UTF in my Front Diff, Shell Rotella T6 in the engine, and good Synthetic Chaincase oil in the Transmission of my 2012 Sportsman 500HO.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Ahh, nice when someone can actually provide backup along with their suggestions/recommendations, not just "you are an idiot if you use the recommended Polaris fluids." Thanks for sharing the link. :fing02:
Hey Bob....if you want to beat the Polaris bandwagon with your vast knowledge of, Polaris says to use it, for your FACTs then I can play devils advocate with my facts that actually have been proven on this forum many times over, by myself and other members by using the alternatives....with no damage whatsoever. Lets just face the other set of facts...you're a Polaris fan boy as far as their lubes...and that's definitely a big Fact. We can have a difference of opinion but when you keep preaching that there are no alternatives, you will hear from people who know better. Show is all where any damage has occurred from using something other than your liquid gold PS-4 or their other overpriced fluids. We are waiting for those facts
When someone can produce documented facts to back up their claims, then it is legitimate. When someone likes to claim fact, just because someone else says it is so, then it is a theory, or in more simple terms, a guess. I don't know that I've ever said there is no alternative to Polaris fluids, but when someone doesn't know with certainty what that correct alternative might be, then I always recommend they use what is called for by the manufacturer.
You say you have proven many times over that your theory is correct. Show me the testing and proof to back that guess. I am waiting for those facts. There are a couple on here who have actually had testing done, or have done the research, to prove themselves. You have not, and that's definitely a big FACT!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
When someone can produce documented facts to back up their claims, then it is legitimate. When someone likes to claim fact, just because someone else says it is so, then it is a theory, or in more simple terms, a guess. I don't know that I've ever said there is no alternative to Polaris fluids, but when someone doesn't know with certainty what that correct alternative might be, then I always recommend they use what is called for by the manufacturer.
You say you have proven many times over that your theory is correct. Show me the testing and proof to back that guess. I am waiting for those facts. There are a couple on here who have actually had testing done, or have done the research, to prove themselves. You have not, and that's definitely a big FACT!

There are several threads with multiple Blackstone UOA reports on Rotella T6 5W40 and PS4 2W50.
I've seen at least one UOA from a 500HO run on Shaeffers 9000 5W50 and one run on Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40.
I'm not going digging for them again. They were posted and you can find them.

All the UOA reports looked good so PS4 is an adequate but VERY VERY overpriced engine oil. The other three are just as good or better oils for less money.

Why pay more than a premium designer racing oil for a just adequate product?

T6 & Shaeffers didn't shear significantly from the rated 50W & 40W high temp viscosity. PS4 didn't fare as well as it sheared down close to 40W. Shear Stability Explanation http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm

Wear metals were extremely low in the Shaeffers VOA sample. That single report may be an outlier. I'd have to see at least three to be sure but it's exceptionally promising.
Rotella T6 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck scored slightly lower levels of wear metals than PS4 but very roughly on par.

The anti-wear and detergent goodies in the Shaeffers are VERY HIGH, T6 & Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck are lower than the Shaffers but higher than most comparable products, and PS4 is not worth the premium price... the add pack is fairly low on anti-wear and detergent. The PS4 add pack is on par or lower than levels in some fairly to extremely cheap motor oils.

Given the VOA/UOA results if you want to use spendy oil Shaeffers 9000 is the stuff to use.
Budget priced oils, Rotella T6 & Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, show similar VOA/UOA and are pretty close in price.
I'd use any of the three mentioned alternatives before I used PS4.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
So I guess real world testing doesn't count for anything. You keep your written data and I'll keep my atv running perfectly with alternative fluids while you're busy reading. You're smarter than this Bob

1 - 20 of 39 Posts