Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was hoping for some advice from any body that may have replaced the front C V boot/joint/axle on a Sportsman 700. I've already replace boots on the rear of this machine with very little problems. But the front is giving me a hell of a time. The boot is torn and by the feeling of the seized joint, it has been torn for awhile. I tore everything down, but I can not get the front axle out of the diff. If I could get the outer joint apart I could clean it up as best as I can to get me thru the winter (I plow with this machine) Anyone have any secrets for getting the left front joint off the axle shaft?? Or any secrets for getting the axle out of the diff. It isn't budging!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check inside where the joint goes on the axle make sure that there is not a snap ring.(look close on the shaft where the inner case slides on) If there is just spread it out and the joint will slide off and leave the axle in the bike.If not tap it with a hammer and pullout at the same time and the joint should come off the axle . Clean it out really good and reboot it, it should last the winter depending on how rusty it is in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check inside where the joint goes on the axle make sure that there is not a snap ring.(look close on the shaft where the inner case slides on) If there is just spread it out and the joint will slide off and leave the axle in the bike.If not tap it with a hammer and pullout at the same time and the joint should come off the axle . Clean it out really good and reboot it, it should last the winter depending on how rusty it is in there.

Thanks, I'll keep trying!! I've looked for a snap ring, but it isn't as evident as the joints on the rear. I've beat that joint for all I'm worth and it won't budge! I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While using a 5lbs. lump hammer to remove a cv joint 20 years ago, (when I was young and stupid) I was swinging as hard as I could, holding the cv in one hand and the hammer in the other when my thumb slipped into the hammers path, needless to say I was unable to finish the the task right then. When I came back to it 2 days later I was still angry, so I put the axle in the vise and took a 10lbs. sledge to it. Standing on the work bench I swung with all my might. The cv left the axle and I left the bench. I landed on my ass. While on the floor trying gather my thoughts I noticed the CV joint sheared at the snap ring, I had failed to notice earlier. How easy this job could have been! So the moral of the story is make sure there is no snap ring!

Go ahead laugh
Regards James

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While using a 5lbs. lump hammer to remove a cv joint 20 years ago, (when I was young and stupid) I was swinging as hard as I could, holding the cv in one hand and the hammer in the other when my thumb slipped into the hammers path, needless to say I was unable to finish the the task right then. When I came back to it 2 days later I was still angry, so I put the axle in the vise and took a 10lbs. sledge to it. Standing on the work bench I swung with all my might. The cv left the axle and I left the bench. I landed on my ass. While on the floor trying gather my thoughts I noticed the CV joint sheared at the snap ring, I had failed to notice earlier. How easy this job could have been! So the moral of the story is make sure there is no snap ring!

Go ahead laugh
Regards James
LOL!! I can appreciate that story James! That sounds alot like something I would do. Thanks for sharing! I'll look for a snap ring again tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts