Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am looking for a cargo box for the rear rack of my 2011 Sportsman 800. I don't want anything big and bulky. I am really thinking of doing a front box on the rear rack. Has anyone else done this? Really all I want to put in there is a 2 gallon gas can, some frog toggs raingear, maybe a jacket and a few other little things. I already have a fender bag and the value models still have a descent box under the rear rack so I am not in need of a ton of extra storage. I don't want my quad to get to the point where I am carrying so much I have to start looking at winter road weight restrictions. Anyway I want a box not a bag, tried that already. My main goal is that gas can and a little extra storage. Have been looking at the Kolpin front trail box as this seems to be the deepest front box. Still not overly sure the gas can will fit as I believe their dimensions are overall sizes not interior measurements. Anyway thanks in advance. Yes I did do a search and didn't find anything like I was looking for just threads on what rear box.

I also PM'd Thor because I believe he may have answers being he sells a lot of different ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
mabye what u need if just a rotopax gas can from the sounds of it, i dont know of a compartment thats small that will fit a gas can in it

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ what he said, but I thought it was; rotopax

·
Registered
434 Posts
my bad lmao ill correct it

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can't recommend a hard box for the rear, but I would not put a gas can inside of any box you find. Any leak of fumes or liquid is going to create problems for anything you have stored in the box. Why not mount something on the outside?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I too thought about Placing a Sportsman XP front box on the rear. The problem is the box in not flat on the bottom and would require you to build a base for the box to sit on top of the rear rack. However you could the place two one gallon Rotopax gas cans inside and have some storage space left over.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it looks like front boxes to keep a gas can in are out of the question. Only other possiblity might be the Kolpin front trail box with the rear trail box rack mounted on top of that (not sure if that is even possible) to carry the gas can on the rack. I know the Rotopax cans are sweet I am just having a hard time swallowing $80-$90 for a 2 gallon gas can with a mount. I also understand why some would cringe a little at keeping a gas can in a hard box in case of leakage.

Can anyone recommend a good rear box that isn't huge. I have looked at the Polaris lock and ride box, will call my dealer in the morning for a price, but I am looking at the Wes Industries Cargo box and the Tamarack Titan Cargo box and both are $169.99 or $235 for what looks like a nice box with a padded rest on them. The Polaris box with back rest would be around $325 I am guessing and I think the other two look better. Is that back rest important. Also I ride pretty agressive at times even in technical stuff so I am a little worried about the larger rear boxes. I guess that was why I was trying to go the front box on the back route.

Sorry for rambling any suggestions would be great. I have a winter ride coming up with the atv club in Leota, MI on January 11th and was hoping to have a solution by then.

You know this all wouldn't be such a problem if the 800 didn't get so thirsty:lmao:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts