Polaris ATV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They are riveted on. You have to drill out the rivets to replace the originals.
Have you checked if the hinges are warped or the rubber seal under the lid is gone? That would allow the lid to drop down further than normal and keep the latches from securing it tight.
No, I have not.
Noticed it while riding the other day on the maiden voyage.
Bungeed down both sides to keep riding and not have it maybe teat the hinges off bouncing around.
Hoped someone here had replaced theirs or solved this problem, had info...etc..|
Will take this info. I am getting here and take a look at it closer..

·
Registered
2016 Sportsman 450
19 Posts
Can someone fill me in on the FPD gasket upgrade?

I was about to order a gasket from Quad Logic, but I’m all ears if there is a better gasket.

Also, Sportsman23: Can you post a close-up of your current latches?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I was about to order a gasket from Quad Logic, but I’m all ears if there is a better gasket.

Yesssir, I will try to snap a pic of them today and post..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Here ya go, just grabbed these 2 pics..
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Rectangle Bag Tints and shades Luggage and bags Electric blue

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,966 Posts
If the lid is sitting on the gasket correctly it will leave marks in the gasket you can see, eyeball that real close.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
878 Posts
Before you replace the latches, try adjusting the hinge. There are 2 bolts holding the front hinge assembly to the frame. Loosen them up just a bit and see if adjusting it helps.
I had the same problem with my 570. The rubber latches kept coming undone while riding down the trail. I was about to buy new latches. Before doing that, I decided to try and adjust the lid fitment. See attachment. Worked for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I had the same problem with my 570. The rubber latches kept coming undone while riding down the trail. I was about to buy new latches. Before doing that, I decided to try and adjust the lid fitment. See attachment. Worked for me.
Thanks will check that out...seems fine, but could be tweaked a bit..

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,547 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
They look exactly like mine, I would follow Polmans advice of checking the alignment of lid on the sealing gasket, if there is not pressure/resistance against the latches they will be loose and floppy.
Thank you! I did check the alignment of lid and slid it forward to add more pressure on the latches when they are in closed position.
Seems to have worked! Will know a bit better when I use it next.

Thanks to everyone for replying to my post with suggestions!! (y)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you! I did check the alignment of lid and slid it forward to add more pressure on the latches when they are in closed position.

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,966 Posts

I did have to shim my lid a little towards the rear of quad to get it to sit in gasket groove correctly….I can take pics if needed, let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I did have to shim my lid a little towards the rear of quad to get it to sit in gasket groove correctly….I can take pics if needed, let me know.
Thanks! I will run it with this change I made. If the latches pop again, then might be back bugging ya...lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
See that small pin at the top of latch??They are also on the OEM latch. Is your pin still there.I lost one once and pretty much made the latch useless
View attachment 156976
whatever is in the pic, is what I have...
The latches are OEM for sure. The Bike has crazy low hours, I just picked it up from the original owner who never really used it , but to plow his small driveway.
Had never been trail ridden since new till I bought it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
One of mine wouldn’t stay latched. I drilled out the rivets, elongated the 2 holes to drop the latch down and reriveted the latch on. I did take a second rivet in the original spot to take up the space to keep the latch from slipping back up. I elongated the holes about the width of a rivet (1/8”-3/16”)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts