Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a new owner of a Polaris 500 Sportsman 2X. I sometimes keep valuables in the front compartment (camera, GPS, etc) and want to install locks. Are there any key locks available that will replace the non-keyed stock toggle catches?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome! I know you will enjoy your 2x.
Pull one of your catches out and take it to any RV parts place (Camper trailers, etc) and they will have a locking latch to fit. I found one on the internet with a combination lock so I wouldn't have to worry about losing a key.
This link will show you what I mean. You just need the hole size.
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=40266&SID=8&DID=50&CID=569
This is a link to the combination locks.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/combination-cam-lock.htm
I have not used either company. I just added the links so you would have an idea of what to ask your RV dealer for.
Again welcome and enjoy your ATV!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board! Look below in my Sig. line I put these on my 800, I'm not sure they are the same for you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey HappyCamper - Thanks for the suggestions. The mechanism on my compartment has a hooked shaped latch. I'll have to remove the hook and put it on the new lock. Hopefully it'll fit. I think most of them have a square hole - hopefully a "standard" size.

Thanks again.
Jack

Welcome! I know you will enjoy your 2x.
Pull one of your catches out and take it to any RV parts place (Camper trailers, etc) and they will have a locking latch to fit. I found one on the internet with a combination lock so I wouldn't have to worry about losing a key.
This link will show you what I mean. You just need the hole size.
http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=40266&SID=8&DID=50&CID=569
This is a link to the combination locks.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/combination-cam-lock.htm
I have not used either company. I just added the links so you would have an idea of what to ask your RV dealer for.
Again welcome and enjoy your ATV!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jack, I was wrong. Sorry. I went to my RV dealer today (and looked and looked online) and everything they had was the wrong size. My RV dealer really tried to help. 1200Bruce may have the only lock that fits. He is normally correct. If I find anything else I will let you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly what do you mean by "the wrong size"? Is it the diameter of the lock going thru the hole in the compartment lid? Or the length of the lock "shaft"? Or the length or shape of the lock "bar" (the part that turns to prevent opening)? As I mentioned, on mine the "bar" has a hook on it that hopefully I can remove from my lock and place on the new lock.

Thanks again,
Jack

Jack, I was wrong. Sorry. I went to my RV dealer today (and looked and looked online) and everything they had was the wrong size. My RV dealer really tried to help. 1200Bruce may have the only lock that fits. He is normally correct. If I find anything else I will let you know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Diameter, and the bar wouldn't match up with anything they had. I was so sure one of the locks would work.
I am working on a different idea. I bought a lock like I was going to use and I am going to put it near the atv latch. I have drilled a hole in the bar on the new lock. I cut out the edge of the hole so it forms a "hook'. So it has something to latch to I put in a bolt with nuts/washers on both sides. I have mounted it on a piece of wood so I have my measurements correct. I am just about ready to transfer it to the atv box. I will provide pictures if it works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure seems like there should be an easier solution. Too bad Polaris doesn't offer some way to lock the compartments. Do they think we don't store anything valuable in there?

Thanks for all your efforts and willingness to share your info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a new lock. Thanks for giving me the challange.
First I drilled holes and put the lock on a piece of wood to check measurements.
Drilled a hole in the latch bar and then filed it until I had a hook.
Drilled a couple of holes in the plastic, one for the lock and the other for a bolt to latch too. I cut a grove for the bar, and now I have a locking box.
Check the pictures (albums) in my profile. (Click on HappyCamper above and that will take to my public profile).

·
Registered
563 Posts
click on his name in this post and it takes you to his profile and on the right under albums is a picture of the locking box.click that name and it takes you to the pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, Slider, thanks. I had looked on his profile below, but the "Albums" thing was not there. Now it is so I looked at the pictures.

Happy Camper - Thanks for the pictures. You did a nice neat job. Looks good. Maybe I'll follow in your footsteps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Jack and Slider. You can thank Jack for giving me the challenge. Been thinking about it for a while. Probably not as easy to install as the one 1200bruce lists but it only cost me $7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts