Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced the rear CV boots on my 05 Sportsman 500 HO, youtube videos were a great help. Took my front axles off today to replace the boots and, lo and behold, don't see a snap ring to remove. How do you get the CV joint off the front axle?

Thanks

BRR

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I wish I could help... I remember this question coming up before and I thought that wasn't hard on my 700 when I had to replace one of mine but apparently it is different on the pre-2005 models. I am sure someone will chime in shortly though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ya clamp the axle bar Ina vise hold the splines of the cup and hit the cup. I like to use a dead blow hammer so it isn't steel on steel.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will give it a try tomorrow.

BRR

·
Registered
201 Posts
Using a big adjustable wrench over the axle in front of the cv works to hit on. It distributes the force over more of the cv. Gives you a better target to hit as well. A dead blow does work great, but a nice 2lb mallet works great too.

On stubborn cv's I have had to go a different way and use a large drift punch right on the inner race of the cv. A strong hit of the hammer can damage the cv, but its garbage without getting it apart as well. I haven't damaged one this way yet, but it is more prone to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let inboard joint hang over my bench, grabbed the spindle and hit with a 4 lb plastic hammer loaded with shot. One took one hit the other took two.

Thanks again

BRR

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dead blow hammer and a heavy brass drift punch are the best combo. Steel drift punch is ok too but you don't want to damage the steel with steel so be careful. I remember changing the boot on my Audi TT and I had to beat that thing sensless to get it apart but I don't think it will take that much muscle on your ATV axle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats a good call on the brass punch to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I think I will have to get a brass punch and try hitting the inner race. I had a heck of a time getting one of my cobras apart.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Amazon has a good selection of drift punches

1 - 11 of 11 Posts