Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 sporty 500 HO and the front LH CV was making popping noise so I tore it apart and of course the CV was dry. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the CV was rubbing the inside of the strut. Someone had put shims in behind the inside strut bearing at sometime (found one still there and bunch of mangled pieces between the seal and bearing) to try and fix this - I think. I have bought a whole new shaft and am going to replace the strut bearings and seal as well. My question is should I be concerned about the rubbing or just see what happens after the new parts are installed? I will try and post pics tonite to clarify more. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome!

I think you're on the right track by replacing the bearings. Just keep an eye on the area that the rub is.

Do you have a lift kit on the bike? If so, sometimes you need to grind some of the strut housing to get clearance for the cv.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:cowboy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No lift kit. The guy I bought it off had oversize tires on it though (two years ago). I am thinking thats the reason for alot of my problems I have had with this machine - new primary clutch (including 2 belts prior), wheel bearings all around, RH frt & rr otr cv joints, etc... :rant2:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Ok, then I think with new bearings you should be fine.

I'm interested to know how this turns out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a pic of the inside of the strut. It is hard to see the grove. It took me a half hour to remove the inside bearing race. I will post more when I get the new parts installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my new parts and started putting the new bearing seats and seals in. The bearing seats went in good. The only thing I am stuck on is how far I should put the seal in. Right now I have the seal flush with the outside but there is another .25" to go, should I go all the way down until it bottoms out? Also, When I put the bearings in, should I pack them with grease?? The book says to grease them with the specified lube, but I am a little hesitant to grease them because of the (ATF) fluid that is put in the hubs. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called my local Popo dealer to confirm the "Grease/No Grease" debate for the front bearings. He said no grease! He kinda put it this way - you wouldn't put grease in your transmisson would you, the ATF will lubricate everything (just like a tranny). He did say to put some grease on the rear (strut seal) were it rides on the CV. Also told me to just put the hub strut seal in flush to the back of the strut. Hope to have it back together (and working) this weekend, still waiting on a few more little parts. Thanks to all for the info!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally! Got it all back together yesterday. The side I originally had the issues with went together good. Had to semi-rebuild the other side, tore it apart to replace hub seal and the armiture plate was bent(???). Don't know how i managed to do that, but I had bought one for that side when I bought all the other parts, so it worked out. The surface that the plate rests against (on the strut) was a little chewed up so I took a file and fixed it up. Had the bike off the ground to see if the 4x4 worked. The side that had all the original problems (left) was going in and out of 4x4 perfect, but the other side (right) took a little bit before engaging and than would not disengage properly. Any thoughts on that? I am going to search for this issue later today, just wanted to throw an update out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts