Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my front diff bearings (04.5 400) I installed All balls bearings. I also had to replace the output hubs, they were pretty rusty and sloppy. I also replaced the bearing on the pinion with all new seals. I put every thing back together which went well. Once bolted down, it was quite hard to turn the pinion, I had to use a screw driver on the shaft to turn it. I loosened off the bolts and it was quite a bit better but still clunky and stiff. I used a Clymer manual which was kind of useless because it didn't have the exact diff. It was pretty straight forward though. One big washer and the smaller black one that fit into the roller cage. I didn't mic the bearing width of the new ones thinking they'd be fine. hmmm Any suggestions fellas?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
If i understand you correctly.
You did try to turn it before you put it back in the machine? Turned fine?
With the intermediate driveshaft hooked up, it will be difficult to turn, there's a couple gears in the transmission that you are moving, so it will be hard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should of stated that its still sitting on the bench! After I tighten the cover u want to see how it free wheeled! I couldn't turn it by hand so I stuck a screw driver in the output shaft where the roll pin goes for the prop shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts