Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seem that the winch bracket makes it impossible to to remove the fill plug on the front diff. so I called the dealer to see if they had this problem with the newer 500s with the winch installed. They told me that they use the diff. vent hose and pour the demand drive fluid down this hose to fill the diff. So that is what I did. You have to remove the radiator panel under the front storage box cover and find the vent hose and pull it out and tape a funnel on the end and pour the fluid in real slow. This is far easier than removing the winch bracket to get at the fill plug.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I have herd or read thins somewhere before. GOOD REFRESHER!!!

Thanks for the tip!

CW

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That is a great tip to fill with a measured amount of fluid.

But, if your supose to fill the fluid level to the bottom of the fill hole.... you still have the "how do you check this" problem?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owners manual says to add 9 oz. of demand oil. I put in 10 oz and everything works fine

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Okay you got me there..... but you still can't check that amount after added. I too assume many things, but prefer to check and see with my own eyes. But in the case of this poor design.... just may leave it to chance between seasonal changes. At least with my riding style and amount of use. However, if I used & abused the AWD system and played in the mud alot.... it'd get checked alot!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That is a great tip to fill with a measured amount of fluid.

But, if your supose to fill the fluid level to the bottom of the fill hole.... you still have the "how do you check this" problem?
There is a pdf you can download from Polaris that shows the fluid type and amount that goes into the diferent gear cases. It is organized by year and then by model.

I won't say it is always accurate, but it is what I use.

Another option for you is that next time you fill it, measure how much it takes...write it down and always use that amount in the future.

Sean

·
Registered
101 Posts
The problem is still, how do you check the level of the fluid. Say for example you want to make sure you don't have any leaks that aren't obvious.....

seabee78

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The problem is still, how do you check the level of the fluid. Say for example you want to make sure you don't have any leaks that aren't obvious.....

seabee78
Exactly.... Thank you! :D

Handy trick... Yes. But still doesn't solve the issue of checking fluid levels on "preventative maintenance checks"!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts