Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
My 2015 sportsman xp 1000 makes a awful noise in the front diff only under load and the AWD stops working till I ease off the throttle. My first impression was the sprague cage was broken however when I pulled the diff everything looked good . Oil was clean cage was not cracked or broken , armature plate was not bent or uneven wear. Now I’m confused as to why it does that . I have the diff out and replaced the sprague cage with a aluminum one anyway. My question is does anyone have another theory as to why it’s doing that ? Also will a stock armature plate work with a aluminum cage ?
appreciate any help , thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I inspected them closely , the splines and hubs look 100 % . Could the stock cage be bending enough and not holding the rollers in place? Stock cage looked 100%

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Wonder if you're getting full continuous electrical power to the unit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks late bird
I found some threads showing the exact same symptoms on rzr’s with no evidence of damage inside the diff . He did get it fixed by replacing the cage , armature plate and the expensive side cover however he doesn’t know which one actually fixed the problem. I have a feeling the magnet isn’t strong enough to hold under strong load. Just a guess!

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Hey and you've tried changing out the fluid a couple times?? Like every ride it doesn't work??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve changed the fluid several times and it’s never come out dirty. As far as every ride no

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
I know tolerances are critical in these diffs. That armature plate was completely flat?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes , normally I would replace it anyway but it’s perfectly flat, wear is even and the tabs are 90 degrees. Just to be clear I haven’t tried it with the new aluminum cage yet . I want to hear all other possibilities before I put it back in the quad.the plastic cage was perfectly in tact that’s why I’m stumped

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
no only one armature plate. the older units with hub hillards had 2, one on each side.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I figured the second one was for the ADC somehow . I’m waiting on parts again , I was sent the wrong sprague cage. Only realized this when I went to put the smaller armature plate back in and it had no cog holes , so I’m hoping the company replies and will send me a new one soon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey polman500 if I were to use this cage I have and not run the 2nd armature plate would the diff still work as normal minus the ADC ? Just thinking instead of re shipping parts and waiting that I would put it back together minus the BD armature plate if it works . I don’t use ADC ever and could care less if it was working or not.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
yeah that one don't count!!! ADC isn't the problem!!! for shits and giggles id change the Sprague cause you bought it. but in your situation it sounds like the armature plate is holding. so something is either binding or there isn't enough power holding the armature. Im skeptical its the cage as it is locking up. there is an outside chance the cage is deforming just enough that its not completely locking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think what I’ll do is just wait to get the right cage and change both armature plates and see. This quad has been nothing but trouble

1 - 20 of 30 Posts