Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 2010 850 touring and noticed the awd only worked in reverse and the ACD line was disconnected from the front diff.

after removing the front diff I found

• few plastic pieces but the cage wasn’t exploded.. the end was separated from the main part about 90% and I could pull it apart.
  • pinion gear was missing teeth
  • drive shaft gear was missing teeth
  • differential housing had scoring and shavings taken out of it at the drive shaft entrance side
  • 2 wires didn’t go into the front diff- assuming the adc was disconnected
my question is- I was going to replace the plastic cage with a better cage but now I’m pricing everything and wonder if it’s better to just replace the whole differential. Anyone have thoughts or options for replacement? I’m thinking eBay diff then upgrade cage. Looking at the eBay diffs I think the whole adc unit was removed anyway. The driveshaft side of the diff is a solid tube of different metal on mine.. and these eBay diffs have a unit before the diff w an oil line which mine doesn’t have at all.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
If you don't want or need the ADC you can get a 2014+ Scrambler diff. Other then that chk out powersports Nation for used parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much! I did some searching and found a nice diff for the pre-3/5/2010 touring which doesn’t have the torsion spring or spring retainer. Mine is post 3/5 according to the service manual. This used diff is model 1332828 (assuming pre 3/5 but can’t find definitive proof) and mine is a 1332804... or at least that’s what this nucklehead has in it but hacked off the ADC unit completely. Think it would be bad to put the 828 in my touring? Also, assuming this one has a plastic cage- think I should upgrade that right away?

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
828 will be fine they kept upgrading them but all have the same specs if you will. The latest upgrade is 963.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
its tricky if you have a good unit and your not going to abuse it and do the proper maintenance it shouldn't be a problem. that plastic cage should hold up to some of the harshest conditions. the only scenario I can think of where the cage fails is shock load. and even at that point youre going to pop an axle before the cage lets go. but I get it im the same way you want to upgrade and bullet proof things. so if you do the aluminum cage also do the HD armature plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts