Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 polaris sportsman 800

ok, so here's the breakdown of what went down and where im at

the night before the last ride my buddy and i are packing everything up and he asks me if i ever checked my diff fluids, i said no. he said, you should, so i did, and whaddaya know, my front diff was full of chocolate milk. so we drained it, filled it with tanny fluid, ran it, drained it and did that till the fluid was clean, checked AWD, nothing. looked up what fluid to use, went and bought it, replaced the tranny fluid with the on demand fluid, drained, filled, etc etc, fluid came out clean, refilled, checked AWD, nothing... ok, so i have no front wheel drive, must have broken or siezed up something in the diff.... ok, gotta crack open the diff....

ok, so i removed the roll pin in the back of the diff to the prop shaft (thats a WHOLE nother story, trust me...) dropped the a arm out of the spindle, popped off the axle nut, now im yanking on the axle to get it out... oye vey...

ive wedged a fork inbetween the cup and the diff and ive yanked on it for about an hour now, all ive managed to do so far is dislocate the outer knuckle and tear the outer boot....

ive managed to get about an 1/8'' gap between the cup and the diff, i already pulled 2 axles out of another sportsman last week, it was difficult, but not THIS bad... wtf do i do, i dont want to break anything more than i already have and i have 3 weeks to get this thing apart, parts ordered and re assembled

yes, i do know that i can order john deere gator parts for this diff, and no i dont know how to do that, and yes, i would like to know

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
spray them with pb blaster and let it soak. Then just yank on them and hope they pop out. If that isn't working then you can try to pry them out, but you need to apply pressure to one side, and then pop the other side. By carefull not to pry against the diff. though because you could break the case. If you still cant get it out, you can take the axle out of the innner cup, and weld a slide hammer to the inner cup.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I was trying to replace a drive axle a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get it out either. Nothing was working. I ended up pulling the axle on the other side and punching the axle out that I wanted out with a 12 lb sledge and a 4 foot steel bar. Thankfully I had replaced the other axle last year and it wasn't as stuck in as the one that I truly wanted out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i will try the other side then and see what happens, also, what about my outer knuckle? its completely dislocated inside the boot now and i tried everything to get it popped back into place.... did i seriously just break it?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You probably just pulled it apart. You will need to remove the boot to put it back together.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yeah, as Lostcause says. The races are probably rotated around so the opening isn't centered anymore. Of you can get the band off without ruining it, just pull the boot back a little and realign the races, pop the shaft back in, and reapply the clp.
I just picked up some pretty heavy duty Lisle CV Boot clamp pliers for earless type bands on amazon. I was impressed with how heavy they are and with how quick the order showed up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright now im seriously fucking pissed..... i just had the ''driver'' side axle sit all day with pb, still wont budge, so moved to the ''passenger'' side axle, this time, i managed to dislocate the INNER joint on that axle... WTF i have now possibly ruined TWO perfectly good axles! this is seriously fucked up. im so close to using my sawzall right now...

so... now wtf do i do???

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
First off, don't write off the axles. They really aren't that hard to rebuild. Yesterday a posted an extensive write up on how to do that.
Of they are just dislocated, then they Just need popped back in. As lostcause and I have said you just need to undo the clamp to pull the boot back, put the shaft back in properly, and reseat the boot.
As far as getting the axles out:
What had worked for me is to wedge about 3 different things in between the inner joint cup and the differential. I use assorted pry bars, crow bars, and large screwdrivers. They need to be at all different angles to apply even pressure around the cup. Once those are firmly wedged in, beat the piss out of the axle cup. The pressure exerted by the pry bars, added to the jarring from the beating, should loosen it up. If that doesn't work, try a large pry bar in from one angle, then beat the in er joint cup from the opposite angle. The pry bar can somewhat act as a fulcrum as you pound the other direction.
I know people, even my buddy Lostcause, will warn not to pry on the differential this way. I can tell you mine is scared in a couple of places, but I haven't been able to crack it. And I've given it some pretty good beatings.
You are attempting to accomplish THE HARDEST thing I have ever done with my ATVs. The pulling in the axle from the differential is a real PIA.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Step away from it for a minute and breath. lol. I know it gets frustrating, but your axles should be fine. Just dislocated, easy to put back together. As for getting them out of the diff, you may need to get a buddy to help you to apply pressure on one side of the axle cup, while you pry on the other side. I do caution about prying against the diff., but I have done it before with no issues like kicker431 stated. I just didn't want to tell you it was ok to do so, have it break, and then say lostcause is an A hole. lol. Also just a little note, I say pry on the other side, but what I really mean is to 'pop' it. So, while your buddy is applying pressure to the side of the cup toward the rear of the machine, you take a pry bar between the cup and the diff on the front side, and 'pop' it. That 'pop', or quick, sudden pressure, is what will overcome the axle clip pressure. Hopefully that is written so you can understand it? For some reason I am having a hard time explaining it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't know that you could do it, and still reuse the CV joint cup, but I used a 10 inch vise grip to attach a dent puller to the CV cup, and pulled mine out that way. It was not just "popping" the retaining ring out. There was some crud/rust in there that was holding it together. So even after getting the retaining ring out of its groove, I still had to keep using the slide weight on the dent puller to get the axle all the way out. Prior to this, I had tried putting different wonder bars and screw drivers under the cup and popping it with a hammer to get it free. Nothing seemed to work.

No fun task...ranks right up there with pulling an axle bearing out. Neither are fun...

Good luck to you,
Sean

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would take the front diff out with the axles still in. Then take the diff apart and bang the axles out and fix what needs fixing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i know im a little frustrated, with the given time constraints, i need to have this thing fixed in time for our thanksgiving ride at river run.... ugh.... hey lost cause, you mentioned that you ride in jacksonville also... i dont suppose you live anywhere near houston, do you?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
No. I live 2 hours north of dallas. River Run is my favorite park. Unfortunately I don't know when i'll get to ride there again since I am in Afghanistan for a year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
interesting, i just got my Hon Disch. in the mail saturday haha, ok i see now you are from witchita falls, are you a 132A by any chance? i seriously almost extended just to try and become a chopper pilot... if i could do it over again, i would have done it in the beginning.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
No, i'm a Navy Seabee. I was out at Sheppard teaching the electrical school. Pole climbing, power distribution, motors and controllers, interior wiring, etc. Maybe next time I head out to RR i'll try to look you up. I usually ride with some guys from Team Scuba.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats cool, i actually was an engineer in the army, as a matter of fact, i did my mos training at gulfport, small world, huh.... anywho, here's the update.....

bought some pry bars and whaddaya know, i eventually got the axles out, gonna need to grind all the marrs on the side of the diff but oh well..., of course, the ''sockets'' as i am now calling them, for the axles were full of mud.... i digress

got the diff out, noticed something strange, as i was going to remove it, i turned the key on and put the awd on in order to find the right pigtail to disconnect, well, before i could disconnect the pigtail, the AWD light on the dash would not come on...... at this stage the radiator was out, the prop shaft was out, the axles were out and the diff was ''unmounted'' from the frame, is there some kind of ''install sensor'' that turns off AWD when the axles are out or the diff is moved?? i sure hope so, anyway, i kinda already knew which plug it was so i disconnected it no problemo....

cracked the case open and here is what i see, i havent removed anything because i dont want another ''axle joint episode'' so i am ready for advice and suggestions....

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, so being as impatient as i am, i went ahead and removed the cage, seemed like a harmless venture, let me tell you something, that sucker was dirty AF! i took it out, and soaked everything in the diff with carb cleaner EXCEPT the cage cause i know some plastics dont agree with carb cleaner, and then i cleaned everything and soaked everything this time with PB. the rollers actually have dirt that is caked on them pretty badly, im soaking them in PB also and then im going to scrub them back to new condition, nothing seems cracked/broken, the cage appears to be perfectl fine, im of the mindset that everything was just siezed from the mud being in there for so long.... i have heard rumors about magging/demagging something, wondering if anyone else knows something about that....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Glad you persevered. Congratulations. That one stymies almost all of us for a while. When you do get around to putting them back in, remember a good coating of never seize.
Certainly looks like water got in somewhere. Looks like a wire brushing is in order. Inspect for cracks, change the seals, and put it back together.
I had lost track of your original problem. You were trying to get this out because you had no AWD after filling it with transmission fluid. These machines are very picky about fluid in the front diff. You may have been able to tank it up with Polaris Demand Drive fluid and been OK. But since you had water, not a bad idea to find where it was coming from.
Someone with a little mor experience here will hopefully chime in as well.
LostCause, stay safe brother, and thanks for serving. I got out of the Infantry in 2002.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts