Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have replaced the bearings, seals, and pinion bushing in the front differential. I've got everything put back together but I'm having an issue with the pinion gear not freely turning. Before inserting it into the case, the bearing was very smooth. I removed the pinion gear/bearing from the case to make sure it wasn't misaligned or something and it looked fine so I reinserted it. And again it's almost impossible to turn. What is going on?
Thank you

2006 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas?
I don't understand how it can be so tight. The bushing slipped over the pinion gear and fit into the case.
I did have to heat up the case and use the old bearing to hammer the new bearing in but it seated just fine.
When I removed the new bearing the first time, I looked for any scuffs in the case. My thinking was maybe it went in at an angle but it looked fine.

I'm really wishing I would have left the old bushing in now but hindsight is always 20/20.

·
12,224 Posts
I doubt its the bearing. I'd guess the bushing #19 is the problem.
Where did you get the bushing? 2006 is an odd year and many parts are for that particular year ONLY.
I'm not seeing a part number for it listed individually by Polaris for that model. It must be too tight if it hasn't been deformed from installation. How did you press the bushing in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt its the bearing. I'd guess the bushing #19 is the problem.
Where did you get the bushing? 2006 is an odd year and many parts are for that particular year ONLY.
I'm not seeing a part number for it listed individually by Polaris for that model. It must be too tight if it hasn't been deformed from installation. How did you press the bushing in?
View attachment 139458
I got the bushing in a kit from Boss Bearing.

This kit apparently fits multiple Polaris atvs and rangers. It included two extra seals and an extra bearing that do not fit the 2006 Sportsman.

I compared the bushing with the old one and it looked to be the same size.

The new bushing doesn't look deformed. To install it, I put it on the pinion shaft and pushed it in when I put the pinion bearing in the housing. It didn't go in easy but when I heated up the housing and froze the bearing/shaft, I was able to get it in with several light taps of the hammer.

I've seen several others talking about not having a part number for that bushing as well. They would either have a machine shop make the bushing or use one from a kit like I did.

·
12,224 Posts
If you used the pinion shaft to install it, the bushing may not be seated all the way in. I'd find a socket or something that fits the outer diameter of the bushing perfectly and try to make sure its seated all the way to the bottom of the hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts