Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a post where in the front diff. theres a plastic piece which engages the front wheel drive.I recently bought a 2004 400 sportsman and was told this piece was stripped out/broke.I read on another post where this piece cost over $300 thru Polaris,but John Deere carries them for like $90.00.Any one know how to match them up?A part number?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I think it's in the gator. Not sure what year or size though. There is also an aluminum version available now for about $150 that you will never break.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here they are,,
MIA10654 SEAL KIT $25.00
MIA10656 ARMATURE PLATE $30.00
MIA10666 ROLLERS $40.00
MIA10667 ROLLER CAGE $115.00

These are the parts i ordered and used, and the prices i paid. My JD guy got them in overnight for me, I also found another site on the net that sells kits, its called quad-logic. com. I have never ordered from them so i cannot vouch for them, but they offer a complete rebuild kit with bearings and all for 200.00. And all of these parts were for my 2004 Sportsman 600, so double check that it is the same diff in the 400. good luck

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok, I just checked the parts breakdown for the 400 to the 600, it appears they are the same front end, you could confirm with polaris but you are after polaris part 3234455 (which is the plastic cage). What i am looking at says it is the same part for both machines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok/whats the questions?Im a farmer by trade/so have knowledge of repair.I picked these 2 machines up dirt cheap and am hopeing to solve there issues

·
Registered
251 Posts
You were saying the AWD was working in forwards but not reverse on the other machine,, have you tried shutting the switch off and trying it in forward?? Mine was engaging in forwards but not reverse and it was because my roller cage was broken... I was just thinking you may have 2 broken roller cages.... Does the bike rev up in reverse with the override button held, or do you still get the misfire??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to check that out GO4. That was actually a question I had in mind ,if its possible for it to work in fwd and not in reverse with roller gage broke.Will be checking the yellow button out.Hope your on line this evening/have to run for a bit today and try things later buddy>>

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think what happens is the cage breaks and some of the plastic wedges the cage into the forward locked position and it will not let the front end unlock. but at the same time, it will not let the cage roll back the other way to lock the wheels in reverse. Mine only broke one half of the cage, so I think that only one of my front tires was actually turning, not both. The side that was still intact would grab the front right tire, but the side that was smashed wasnt doing anything. (but this is only speculation, as I did not have this theory till after I pulled the diff apart)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts