Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience working on the front differentials of a Sportsman 800 with the ADC AWD. I'm having issues and am looking for answers.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It might be helpful if you post your questions so that those of us that have taken them apart can help you out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have put this on here before and got no response but I will put my problem.

When I put the AWD switch to ADC AWD it blows the main fuse. I have checked the switch it is ok, I have traced the wires to the front differential there is a pair that goes into the middle of the differential, this is the AWD wires. Another set goes into the front of the differential by the input shaft, these I'm guessing are the ADC AWD wires. If I unplug the 4 prong connector just up from these wires and flip the switch nothing happens. I also have undone the front cover (with the differential in the wheeler and everything still connected) where the shaft goes in, moved this cover around put back together and everything works fine, no blowing fuse. Then a while later the problem comes back.

First had the problem after last winter, I use wheeler to plow. I accidentally put in AWD but with heavy gloves on I pushed it into ADC AWD that's when it blew the first time lost power to everything. Looked around found it was the MAIN FUSE. Then it went away had no problem over summer except for a few instances where it would blow for a couple days then be ok again.

My question is I don't use ADC but still want everything to be in working order. So where do I start, I do have a service manual and have checked resistances and other things everything seems to be ok.

So does someone when the wires for the ADC go into the front of the differential could they ground out on something or basically where should I start. Never really pulled anything out this big on this wheeler yet.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A friend had the same issue. The Stealer said that it was a short in the adc and the only fix is to change out the diff. Our fix was to remove the two outside wires on the connector so the ADC is not powered anymore as he never used it anyways. Parts are not really available for the ADC as far as I know.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My guess would be its grounding out somewhere. Are u moving while switching into adc awd and it blowing the fuse?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I'm not moving it doesn't even have to be running to blow the fuse. 4 wheel drive works just fine it's just when I switch to ADC I'm thinking its right in the wires going into the dif because I moved them around and it worked for a while. I really do not want to cut the wires I know I don't use it but I just can't see disabling something on a $8,000.00 machine. Dealer will always say the whole unit just to get more money, same way they say if your fuel pump goes out you have to buy the whole tank and the pump is not serviceable for $600.00, well I serviced my own pump and replaced it for $250.00. I was just trying to find someone who has opened one up to see what exactly these wires go to.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We did not cut the wires, we pulled them out of the plastic connectors and taped them off. His short was apparently in the electromagnet that is inside the unit. There was no parts listed for repairing it. It made the ADC non functional but had no effect on AWD and no more blown fuses.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well that sounds a little better. Now I don't know what is going on I'm getting a code 25 on and off. If I shut the AWD off it goes off, this is the code for the Transmission Input--Invalid Gear. I'm hoping the switch is just bad but man I really hope this thing isn't starting to fall apart. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any Polaris mechanics out there have any experience with this at all.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I think InRbigness has it. Either don't switch it into ADC mode, or disconnect the wires to the ADC unit like he suggested. Another option would be to put in a non ADC diff, front drive shaft, and 4X4 switch and eliminate it completely.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I the only one who would rather fix something correctly than unplug it for the temporary fix, if I ever sell it I would like to get the full price it's worth not just what it is with a few features unplugged.

So what do you do if the AWD is not working turn it into a Scrambler?

It has to be part # 7 in the diagram it is the coil has the wires coming out of it and I would guess it is self contained, it seams that its all the thing is.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
No you are not the only one. What I was told is that there are no parts to fix the ADC and that the diff had to be replaced to rectify the problem of the internal short.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand if there was no parts but according to the exploded diagram and the service manual the coil is the only thing energized in the ADC unit once energized it just becomes a magnet for the eccentric that drives the pump.
Have looked into it and part # 1 (ASM., COVER INPUT ([Incl. Seals, Bearing, Coil, Grommet] #3234748 ) is $155.00, now am I reading this wrong or does this look like the culprit.

That's why I was asking for a Polaris technician they should be able to tell me if I'm on the right path.

This is from the service manual

ADC Engagement:
When the AWD switch is set to ‘4x4/
ADC’, a 12 Vdc current is present at the input shaft coil (1).
Operation is controlled by the ECU grounding and ungrounding
the coil. The coil’s magnetic field attracts a splined armature
plate (2) on the pinion (input) shaft (4). The energized splined
armature plate attracts the unsplined eccentric cam (3), which
begins to turn with the input shaft. The eccentric cam drives a
hydraulic piston/pump assembly (5). The pressure created by
the pump assembly forces hydraulic fluid through passages to
the piston assemblies (6) located in each case half. Hydraulic
pressure forces the piston assemblies inward to compress the
splined clutch packs (7) forming a dynamic coupling to each
front drive axle, resulting in true all-wheel EBS operation upon
deceleration.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well i'm no tech but i work on all my own stuff and have worked on a lot of atv's over the years . It looks like your on a good track if i was you i would dish out the 155? for it and hope it works.

·
11,155 Posts
The cover/coil would be the problem in my opinion...or more likely the wires leading into it which are probably impossible to repair short of just replacing the whole assembly.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That diagram is different than the ones online.

2009 Polaris SPORTSMAN TOURING 800 EFI (A09DN76AB/AL/AY) Drive Train, Front Gearcase & Mounting | Babbitts Polaris Parts House

Looks like you can get a kit to replace the armature and cam for about $100 shipped from Babbits. PN 3234434 Doesn't show the wires on the armature, but if that's where the run to it should be able to be replaced separately.
Part # 3234434 is the armature but the wires come out of the cover above it part #3234748 for 153.00 I would think the rest would be ok no other issue than this. The diagram is straight from the service manual for ADC operation it doesnt have the rest of the clutch pacs exploded shown its just to show the ADC part.

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I went to a local shop and talked to one of the mechanics and he said I was doing exactly what they would do, and he is thinking that is what he would do next.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone got any ideas

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 29 Posts