Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2007 sportsman 500 is out of alignment,snowplow bit hard into the ground last winter and I need to know how to align the front end...I see it has double tie rods but after trying to align it and getting no where I knew I needed a book or help from folks that know how...the steering is cocked to the right and it pulls left... any help will be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
421 Posts
1)place the atv on a flat level surface. 2)set the handel bars in a straight ahead postion and secure the handel bars in this postion. the stearing arm center section can be used as an indicator of whether the handel bars are straight ahead. the center section should always point straight back from the steering post. 3)place a chalk mark on the center line of the front tires approximately 10" from the floor or as close to the hub/axel center line as possable. it is important in order to get an accurate measurement. 4)measure the distance between the marks and record the measurement. call this measurement a. 5) rotate the tires 180deg by moveing the atv forward or backwards. postion the chalk markes facing rearwards, evon with the hub/axel center line. 6) again measure the the distance between the marks and record it. call it measurement b. subtract measurement b from measuement a. the differance between measuements a nd b is the atv toe aligment . the recomeneded atv tolerance is 1/8"-1/4" toe out. this means the measurement at the front of the tire "a" is 1/8-14" wider than the measurement "B".
also if the toe alingment is incorrect measure the distance between atv centerat each wheel. this will tell you whitch one needs adjustment, be shure the handel bars are straight ahead.
adjustment
hold tie rod end to keep from rotating.
lossen jam nut at both ends of the tie rod
shorten or lenghthen the tie rod untel alingment is as required to to the proper toe setting
make shure when tightening the jam nut the tie rod ends stay parallel to prevent damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts