Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums and cant find my specific issue.

I recently noticed grinding, like gears grinding, coming from the front end of my 09 850XP browning. I have 7000 miles on the bike and have used the ADC only once or twice. This all happens whether the bike is in AWD or in 2WD. I have not tried it in ADC mode, I don't use ADC.

The grinding only occurs when hitting the gas from a dead stop or when applying strong throttle while in deep mud. It sounds like gears grinding.

I pulled the front end and found nothing but dark sludge for fluid. I cleaned all the parts and the main gears look fine, no missing or broken teeth, and the clutch packs all looked good (no metal on metal). I replaced all the bearings and seals and replaced the plastic cage with an all aluminum cage.

I also noticed the ADC fluid was dark and flushed the system. I followed the shop manual and bleed the ADC fluid until clear fluid with no bubbles was seen.

Put the front end back in the bike and the problem seems to have lessened. The bike does not grind when in mud but still grinds when hitting the gas hard, from a dead stop.

This all happens whether the bike is in AWD or in 2WD. I have not tried it in ADC mode, I don't use ADC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OOPS forgot

Forgot to mention I also replaced the front axles, SO I know it not the CV joints slipping.

Any help will be much appreciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts