Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sportsman 450, and the front end rises a lot when I take off, like to the point where the shocks are at then end of their travel. Is this normal, or do I need to adjust something, or purchase some replacement shocks/springs?

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
Yup to counter the front from coming up you have to prevent the rear from going down. The rear springs have a collar for adjusting the load on the springs.

·
9,489 Posts
Okay great. Thanks guys. Is there a special tool to use to do that, or do I just use a regular wrench?
Some guys use a big pair of channel locks but there are spanner wrenches specially made for turning the spring cam. Many machines have one in the tool kit. I don't think yours does though.
Here's a link to a bunch of different ones:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.Xshock+spanner+.TRS0&_nkw=shock+spanner+wrench&_sacat=0

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
To add to that it's best to jack the rear up to take the added weight of the machine off the springs. Removing the wheels will help in gaining leverage but is not necessary. Also soaking the collar in some sort of penetrant is always helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay great. Thank You guys. Would you recommend upgrading the springs to a heavy duty spring set as well? I'm a big guy, and I imagine mine and my son's weight isn't helping the cause any.

·
9,489 Posts
Okay great. Thank You guys. Would you recommend upgrading the springs to a heavy duty spring set as well? I'm a big guy, and I imagine mine and my son's weight isn't helping the cause any.
Yeah, I was going to suggest that before as the BEST way to stiffen it. Then you can start again at the softest spring setting and go from there. I'd recommend EPI HD springs but some use Highlifter which are supposed to be even stiffer.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Ok this clears up some questions,my 08 PS 500 Touring does not have that front end rise. The rear springs must be more heavy duty on the Touring models since they are 2-up ATV's. My rear springs are set on the lowest settings and it's pretty stiff with just one rider, haven't tried riding double yet. I rode my BIL 05 PS 700 twin last summer and I really noticed the front end rise on acceleration on it.

Tony

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
To add to that it's best to jack the rear up to take the added weight of the machine off the springs. Removing the wheels will help in gaining leverage but is not necessary. Also soaking the collar in some sort of penetrant is always helpful.
What he said.... whenever I need to adjust preloads, I lift the machine by the frame until the tires are off the ground slightly and give the collar a shot of WD-40 or Silicone based lubricant.

And if adjusting the pre-loads doesn't solve the issue.... it'll be time to look into some new springs or heavy duty springs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts