Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids 2003 Sportsman 90 has a bad camber on the front end. One side worse than the other. I recently had one side with a bad toe angle and replaced a bad ball joint and didn't notice anything else loose at the time. It always had a harsh camber under braking, but would come back to a reasonable setting when riding. Now it just stays that way. Especially more on one side, but both are pretty bad. All I find on initial check is some wobble by hand in the wheel bearings, about 1/4 inch at it's worst if I was to actually measure the back and forth movement at the tread surface center of tire. Not sure how much play should be there. I think replacement of bearings is needed, but it seems irrelevant to the sag issue. Shocks? They have always been set to the softest setting to prevent bouncing as he is pretty light. Spindles/knuckles? Could they be bent or worn that bad? Anyone know or have experienced the tendencies of these machines? I don't want this to be a parts replacing deal till it is fixed if I can help it. Also does any one know where to get a rear sprocket with out having to buy the hub, bolts and washers along with the sprocket? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I'd pull one side apart to check the bushings, and get a good look at the wheel bearing. If there is play in the a arms, or shock bushings that coule be part of the problem. I just rebuilt the entire suspension on my step son's Coolster 110cc chimo piece of "explative". I didn't buy the thing.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sounds more like weak springs to me. Lift the front end off the ground until you have full droop in the front suspension, and gently set it back down. Measure to a horizontal surface on the front end, something close to the ground works best. Compress the front end and let it rebound on it's own, remeasure the same spot. My guess is the springs are shot and not returning to a neutral/unsprung attitude.
You could attempt to put PVC spacers under them, might give you some lift back?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts