Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dug a little deeper this morning, pulled the wheels off to get them rebalanced and found the lower A arm bushings are shot. I know I ride hard but hell I only have 1600 miles on the machine. I lubed them every other ride and the machine has never seen any mud. We have been in drought with no rain for months. Getting kind of pissed, you would think a $12,000 plus machine would hold up better.
ank

You've mentioned you ride hard twice. Can you define what "hard" is?

Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
By hard I mean, I am standing on the pegs at racing speed most of the time no matter what the terrain. As an ex desert racer old habits are hard to break:smile

I was setting up a poker run a couple of weeks backs, the route ran past a dairy. They had a scale there to weigh the milk trucks. I drove across them with my fully loaded 1000. To my surprise they said I was at 1380#s. 200 of that is me. The power of these machines mask all that weight. I could slow down and save a little wear and tear but like a said old habits are hard to break:|

·
9,429 Posts
By hard I mean, I am standing on the pegs at racing speed most of the time no matter what the terrain. As an ex desert racer old habits are hard to break:smile

I was setting up a poker run a couple of weeks backs, the route ran past a dairy. They had a scale there to weigh the milk trucks. I drove across them with my fully loaded 1000. To my surprise they said I was at 1380#s. 200 of that is me. The power of these machines mask all that weight. I could slow down and save a little wear and tear but like a said old habits are hard to break:|
LOL... Yep, That'll make parts wear fast on these big heavy machines. You might try JCCapri bushings cutter. They are supposed to be very durable. If you haven't already, you might need to inspect frame joints and look into brace kits too.

·
Registered
66 Posts

LOL... Yep, That'll make parts wear fast on these big heavy machines. You might try JCCapri bushings cutter. They are supposed to be very durable. If you haven't already, you might need to inspect frame joints and look into brace kits too.

Haha I hear ya. The power of these machines masks the weight well! Jccapri bushings held up well all through Hatfield McCoy for me. Only down side is I busted a spindle bolt in the rear and that messed up the bushing. I’ve been very impressed with the wear on these compared to the stockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
9,429 Posts
My old 800 spent most of it's life running the way you ride cutter. I ended up having to rebuild and reinforce the entire rear frame because I broke it pretty good. Also had to weld and reinforce the arm mounts on the front cause I broke them too lol. As for bushings, I got into a routine of alternating doing the entire front one season and then the entire rear the next. That's around 2500 miles per season though running really fast and jumping and such through extreme terrain as you do. I gave up trying to keep everything super tight after the first few years and just fell into my yearly routine to keep it reasonably tight.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Yeah, that's hard. To each his own; the machines are to be enjoyed. But I dont think they're designed for that kind of abuse (I dont mean that offensively). But as long as you are willing to pay the price, go for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Like many here, I have this issue as well. Drives me insane as anything 45+ is a gamble on when it's going to start wobbling all over. The front ends on these are pretty sensitive it seems.

One thing I've noticed. I have JCCapri bushings, and when I had installed those, the A Arm mounts had started to get ovaled out. The bushings are pretty tight because I installed the Cecco Braces on the a arm mounts, but I can't help but wonder if the ovaled out bolt holes are causing this.

I replaced tie rods, I replaced Ball Joints, and I replaced wheel bearings with NO CHANGE to the shaking. I even took it into the dealer to see if they could align it/get the shaking to stop and they couldn't.

Something I've learned to deal with but it's definitely frustrating. The worst is on pavement when I'm going from trail to trail. I can no longer go over 35-40 on pavement because it shakes so bad. Been getting worse with age too.

If someone figures out a fix, I'll be the first in line to try it.

·
9,429 Posts
Like many here, I have this issue as well. Drives me insane as anything 45+ is a gamble on when it's going to start wobbling all over. The front ends on these are pretty sensitive it seems.

One thing I've noticed. I have JCCapri bushings, and when I had installed those, the A Arm mounts had started to get ovaled out. The bushings are pretty tight because I installed the Cecco Braces on the a arm mounts, but I can't help but wonder if the ovaled out bolt holes are causing this.

I replaced tie rods, I replaced Ball Joints, and I replaced wheel bearings with NO CHANGE to the shaking. I even took it into the dealer to see if they could align it/get the shaking to stop and they couldn't.

Something I've learned to deal with but it's definitely frustrating. The worst is on pavement when I'm going from trail to trail. I can no longer go over 35-40 on pavement because it shakes so bad. Been getting worse with age too.

Most of the time its your tires being out of round and just about impossible to balance. I've run Pit Bulls for years on several different machines and they run as smooth on pavement as my pickup. They are expensive and heavy but tough as nails and run true.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I have had same problem at HMT this year. at the black top connectors ,shak'n around 30, 45? 60? left wheel was mounted little off. I did remove bolts mounted wheel again, tighten some more and is fixed now...
edit.
also I have had loosen inner rod ends[ i thought it was an issue], and thighten them didn't solve that issue. Then I took the wheel off.....
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts

The way you describe it, the first thing I would think is TIRES. Could they be out of round or out of balance? Are they over-inflated so you pick up every little pavement abnormality?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The way you describe it, the first thing I would think is TIRES. Could they be out of round or out of balance? Are they over-inflated so you pick up every little pavement abnormality?
That was my first thought at well. Started about halfway through my first set of Kenda Bearclaw HTR's. Thought it was the tires. Bought another set a couple seasons ago and had them balanced (they were brand new), same exact shake at same exact speeds. Then I went through the front end and replaced all of those parts. Then I thought, OK I have the stock set of tires in the shed, I'll throw them on. Same shake same speed.

Then I thought alignment? Tried doing that myself - no difference. Thought I maybe messed alignment up. Took it to dealer just to see, they checked it over and said nope - aligments perfect. Then they told me to try balancing beads. Threw some beads into my set of Bearclaws... and you can guess the result.

I'm working on getting the machine back together right now from the front end falling off basically, and once I have it together, I'm taking the machine to a shop up in northern Wisconsin. I'll have them pull the rims/tires off and balance in front of me. I'd like to see for myself that the rims are completely true (even though I have two sets of stock rims and swapping them makes no difference)

Frustrating to deal with, but maybe it's good for me because it keeps me out of 60 MPH+ territory which I tended to get into too often when it was smooth as silk

·
Registered
212 Posts
That was my first thought at well. Started about halfway through my first set of Kenda Bearclaw HTR's. Thought it was the tires. Bought another set a couple seasons ago and had them balanced (they were brand new), same exact shake at same exact speeds. Then I went through the front end and replaced all of those parts. Then I thought, OK I have the stock set of tires in the shed, I'll throw them on. Same shake same speed.

Then I thought alignment? Tried doing that myself - no difference. Thought I maybe messed alignment up. Took it to dealer just to see, they checked it over and said nope - aligments perfect. Then they told me to try balancing beads. Threw some beads into my set of Bearclaws... and you can guess the result.

I'm working on getting the machine back together right now from the front end falling off basically, and once I have it together, I'm taking the machine to a shop up in northern Wisconsin. I'll have them pull the rims/tires off and balance in front of me. I'd like to see for myself that the rims are completely true (even though I have two sets of stock rims and swapping them makes no difference)

Frustrating to deal with, but maybe it's good for me because it keeps me out of 60 MPH+ territory which I tended to get into too often when it was smooth as silk
If it makes you feel any better, you did excellent diagnositcs trying to isolate the cause! Only other thing I can think of is to really think very hard about exactly when it started and what you were doing (hit anything, jump anything, pavement, dirt, woods, etc etc). The key has to be there, at least to my way of thinking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've experienced the frame tabs egging out as well on my 800, i fixed them by weld grade 8 washers to the frame tabs.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey guys, wasted a lot of money to figure this one out, but really happy to say I have it solved! My PXTs were shaking like crazy. Bought Bighorns and it improved, but still shook above 40+. Put in sealant and only slight improvement. Took them off and went back to PXTs and put sealant in. (sealant and/or beads are supposed to balance the tires when moving) Once again they shook like crazy. Finally in desperation, had Goodyear remove sealant and balance the front. Some improvement...figured I had spent this much so had them do the same to the rears. BINGO!!!! Smooth as silk to 60+ and all the way up. It took 3/4 to a pound of weight for EACH tire to get them in balance but WOW how nice it is!

They had never balanced ATV tires before, but since they are 14 wheels they could do it. They said the machine would not work for 12s...so finally the 14s are good for something :)

I will mention I spent a lot of time getting my toe in/our left right perfect...that is important too...but without a doubt balancing all 4 is the key.

·
9,429 Posts
Do you have stock tires? It's always a good idea to check suspension/steering components regularly but out of balance/out of round tires are usually the culprit for high speed shakes in my experience.
My brand new 1k with no miles would shake its head like a mad bull from 45 on up. Replaced the OEM tires with good ones and now its smooth as silk at all speeds.
I've got a new set of PXT's for sale cheap if anyone is interested. They will have to be balanced though.
Yep, post number 3 of this thread... PXT's suck! They're so out of round/out of balance as to be almost useless. Polaris should be ashamed to put such a POS set of tires on a $14,000 machine.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts